Irish Red on Windsor Cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UncleDave

Reaction score
Thinking about doing an Irish Red and would like some opinions. Normally I mash an hour @ 155 F for a medium body and use S04 yeast. Trying to find a use for a Windsor Cake I will be racking off next weekend, so I'm thinking of pitching the Irish Red on the cake, but I'd like to compensate for the less attenuative yeast. So I need to compensate with the mash temp and am thinking about 151. Should this be enough of an adjustment or should I go into the high 140s?

I don't think you could pick a worse yeast for an Irish Red than Windsor; you want clean, attenuative yeast for the style, and Windsor is neither... US-05 or Nottingham is a much better option IMO.

Hmm, well I have a week old Pale Ale on Nottingham right now as well. I've been happy with using S04 for Irish Reds, but perhaps I'll take a shot with Notty and see how it turns out.

Back