Yeast cultured from Bell's Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick500

Reaction score
I'm culturing some yeast from a few bottles of Bell's Pale Ale. (From what I understand, it's their house yeast that they use for most of their ales.)

I made a ~12 oz starter, then stepped it up to a liter. I can see yeast accumulating at the bottom of the container, and there's most definitely more there than what I started with, but it's a pale brown color that I'm not used to, rather than a creamy white as you will see in a White Labs vial.

I think I'm not going to worry about it; the yeast are obviously reproducing, evidenced by the volume of sediment in the container. Just curious if anyone else has cultured this yeast and noticed the same thing.

I'm culturing some yeast from a few bottles of Bell's Pale Ale. (From what I understand, it's their house yeast that they use for most of their ales.)

I made a ~12 oz starter, then stepped it up to a liter. I can see yeast accumulating at the bottom of the container, and there's most definitely more there than what I started with, but it's a pale brown color that I'm not used to, rather than a creamy white as you will see in a White Labs vial.

I think I'm not going to worry about it; the yeast are obviously reproducing, evidenced by the volume of sediment in the container. Just curious if anyone else has cultured this yeast and noticed the same thing.

I cultured and brewed with yeast from their Oberon wheat beer two weeks ago - I think it may be the same strain as yours. My yeast is darker than creamy white, but I wouldn't call it pale brown either. I would say that it almost exactly the same color/shade as a nomacorc synthetic cork.

Here's what I mean (bright white plastic lid in frame for reference):

e50f3041.jpg

That looks quite a bit darker than what I have. Maybe you could get a culture started from another bottle, and grow it just big enough to compare colors?

Good luck, let us know how it turns out!

I know their Winter White Ale has a different strain of yeast. I wonder if Oberon does as well.

i have been culturing pacman from rouges dead guy ale. It took three step ups before i started to form white creamy yeast layer. It was brown for a while, keep going and see what happens.

I abandoned the above-pictured culture... Looeyvillelarry gave me a culture from Bell's Two-Hearted Ale that I used instead. I washed it after I used it in my amarillo pale ale, and it's creamy white as expected.

I got a starter made form two-hearted and it was not that dark. Bubbling away in my IPA now. Two nights ago tried again with a couple of dregs I kept in the fridge and so far has not taken off.

A little off toppic but I just did my first yeast starter and followed directions from Palmers How To Brew. It said to make a starter of 1 pint H2O and 1/2 cup of DME. Is this a typo in book as everything that I have read since starts out with 1 quart of starter, even the rest of his references say 1 quart is good for a 1.050 wort. If I did make a mistake will 1 pint starter still work in a 1.055 wort.

Back