Didn't boil priming sugar.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I completely forgot to boil and add water with the priming sugar. I added the sugar to the bottling bucket. I then added the batch. Stirred it up a bit. Then bottled all my beer. Am I screwed?

If it makes you feel any better, I did the same freaking thing tonight. I should have been reading HBT!! SWMBO was helping me bottle and was tilting the bottlling bucket, and said, what's this at the bottom of the bucket, is this yeast? No, the yeast is in the carboy. Oh shoot! It's sugar, I forgot to dissolve it.... Well, I was pretty annoyed with myself but there wasn't that much sugar at the bottom, so i think I'll be OK. Maybe one or two bottle bombs at the end of the run?? Maybe a few under carbonated? Oh well, we'll know in a few weeks! I'm counting on "it's hard to ruin your beer."

Whoa, we're supposed to boil priming sugar?!?!?? I've never done this...I always just dump it in the bottling bucket and rack on top of it. Who'dathunkit?

Same thing happened to me. I added the sugar directly to the bottling bucket and bottled and realized ALOT of sugar did not make it into the bottles. As predicted, an already low carbonation beer (ESB) turned out flatter than the midwest.
Forgot about the beer for a month, came back and it had developed a bit more carbonation but still pretty flat. I was a bit disappointed cause the taste was great!
Side note, I opened a few bottles to add carbonating pills to it, and the moment the pills came in contact with the beer, it erupted into old faithful. That was perplexing.

The pills gave the dissolved CO2 some nucleation sites, so that's why it fizzed out. There was carbonation, just not enough to make it super fizzy. Look up Mentos and Diet Coke on YouTube for more on the phenomenon.

Back