Bottling Trappist 6+ months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scinerd3000

Reaction score
So i am coming up to the time when i need to bottle my trappist beer listed here . It is fantastic! My issue resides around the possibility of adding additional yeast at bottling and if so what that yeast should be dry/slurry etc. For the beer i used a slurry of trapist and saison yeast which is all but gone at this point. I have possibly very small amounts on the bottom of my secondary but is that usable? I have no experience with longterm aging of beers and would appreciate any help. Worst comes to worst i bottle from a keg but that is not desirable because other than being a pain in the ass i really dont wanna mess this up. Its delicious

You shouldn't need to repitch in order to bottle. There is always some yeast in suspension. It will likely take longer to carb however.

If you repitch for bottling, I would just go with a dry yeast.

how is that done properly? I was worried because saison yeast is very very slow and i have almost no sediment. My final gravity is 1.014 or so. I figure if i add dry yeast, something neutral like Nottingham or champagne it would attenuate differently than the yeasts i have used. Is that a wrong assumption?

Back