Do My Slants Look OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DKershner

Reaction score
I followed the directions in the sticky basically dead on, and this is the result of my first slant. They look sort of funky to me, do you think they are ok? This is them after 9 days of incubating right before I tape, label and store them in the fridge. They smell...yeasty.

*I realize that one leaked, think that one will be ok too?

2010-02-18 07.53.34.jpg

They look ok and by ok I mean not infected. It looks like to me that you kept the vials closed during incubation so the co2 produced by the yeast pushed the agar around. The best way for incubation is to leave the cap slightly open so there can be a gas exchange. I do this with all my slants and have not had a single infection. I even left my slants to dry this way for 2 weeks with out any infection. congrats on making the leap its way cheaper and a better products.

They look ok and by ok I mean not infected. It looks like to me that you kept the vials closed during incubation so the co2 produced by the yeast pushed the agar around. The best way for incubation is to leave the cap slightly open so there can be a gas exchange. I do this with all my slants and have not had a single infection. I even left my slants to dry this way for 2 weeks with out any infection. congrats on making the leap its way cheaper and a better products.

I actually did leave the caps 1/2 turn open during incubation (per instructions). Why do you say that they look like they have had agar pushed around? Note that this isn't me arguing with you, I am just trying to figure out what that would look like, or what on my slants looks weird to you. Other than the one that fell over and leaked, I don't see anything that seems to have moved from after I pulled them out of the pressure cooker initially (except for my poke marks when I introduced the yeast with the innoculation loop).

Thanks for the welcome...hopefully this will be the last time I have to ask these sorts of questions, but I predict otherwise. :D

EDIT: I know my pictures suck, but the bottom part that might look funny seems to be yeast to me. It's whitish colored and it spawned from where I poked with the loop.

Ahhh I see now those are stabs not slants I thoughtthe bottom was jumbled up agar. Here's what my slants look like.
485e2db8.jpg
a933c76b.jpg

EDIT: lol my pics suck pretty bad too.

EDIT: lol my pics suck pretty bad too.

We are slanters, not photographers!

Besides you having much less "slant" in there, I don't see too much of a difference. I realized I overfilled a bit sometime in the process...but it should still work.

I actually can't see any yeast in yours, but that is probably due to the picture quality.

So, since you never said explicitly:
- Do these look OK to use?
- What can I do better next time?

Yep they look ok to me. Managing and growing yeast I find just as cool and fun as brewing and consuming the fruit of my labor. Congrats on making the leap again.

Yep they look ok to me. Managing and growing yeast I find just as cool and fun as brewing and consuming the fruit of my labor. Congrats on making the leap again.

Excellent, thanks for the help and assurance.

Heres a better picture of my slant without yeast.

Yours is very slant-ed. Any advantage to that?

I took a better picture of mine pre-yeast. I think you were right about the agar at the bottom, it looks bunched up a bit on some of them, even pre-incubation.

IMG_0247.jpg

Thats it exactly more surface area. Congrats on getting the test tubes it's tons of fun and you save 7 bucks every batch.

Back