Airlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctbrewer227

Reaction score
What does everyone fill their airlock with? I am new to brewing i've been using vodka I hear this is ok to do?

Vodka is perfect! Some use a sanitizer mix, and some use plain water. Those are all fine, as long as you remember that sometimes the liquid in the fermenter can be sucked back (via vacuum pressure, like in weather changes) into the fermenter. So, anything that would be relatively benign to your beer would be a good choice. Don't use bleach, for example.

I usually start with Vodka but if the level lowers at all, I will fill it up with a couple squirts from my idophor sanitizer bottle.

My friend uses salt water.

He has a fruit fly problem and they can get in the lock through the little holes and lay eggs. Then the next generation gets in your fermentor while they are maggots. I have seen this.

I use water.

I normally use sanitizer (iodophor) water that was left over from when I sanitized my brewing equipment. It gets renewed when I move to secondary.

Back