Carbonated Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rurounikitsune

Reaction score
I'm making a Wit today (if this pans out) but the 1 pint/1 cup DME starter I threw together yesterday is not panning out the way I expected. I'm using WLP400.

The starter is extremely sweet. When I put it into the hydrometer tube to see if the yeast had done anything with it, it was so heavily carbonated that I couldn't get a good reading. Lots of bubbles and it foamed up really badly coming out of the turkey baster.

The carbonation makes me think the yeast are up to something...

The flocculation, lack of krausen, sweet taste, high gravity, and the fact that the HBS I ordered from does not pack their yeast in anything cold and it was over 90 degrees the two days it was being shipped, make me think the yeast have probably kicked it.

But... it's carbonated...

Is there anyone who can tell me what is up?

Well, your starter is a bit heavy. I usually use 1/2 cup DME to one pint water for an OG of 1.040. So, your OG is too high, which will stress the yeast and not give them a good start. But, since it's foaming and working now, you'll be ok.

It's "carbonated" because the act of fermentation produces co2 and ethanol. So, it's just starting to ferment. Those bubbles are proof of it.

I see... o____o

I think I will add some top off water to this to lighten it up so the yeast can get their act together a bit quicker...

Thanks Yooper ^_^

also, since starters don't have hops, it will always taste sweeter than beer wort. hop bitterness balances malt/sugar sweetness.

Back