Cherry Wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mediamst

Reaction score
I made a batch of cherry wine from a kit with real cherries. The wine is bottled etc. I have had desert wines such as cherry and strawberry etc and they actually taste like cherries or strawberries. My cherry wine tastes like wine, but I am hard pressed to taste cherry in there. Anyone else have this experience? Any tips on retaining the flavor of the fruit you used to make the wine?

This is the kit I used http://www.homebrewit.com/aisle/1205 but in cherry.

Thanks in advance!

Well I am guessing by, tastes like wine, you mean it is quite dry? Fruit flavors tend to be more pronounced in sweeter wines, as you had mentioned drinking desert wines. If this was a kit, did it call for sorbating the wine at the end? If you have killed off fermentation you should be able to add a sugar of your choosing. I suggest that you take a measured amount (such as one cup or 5 oz or how over much you want) and add sugar in small increments until you reach a sweetness and flavor you enjoy. Then multiply that to the appropriate amount for 5 gallons and add it before bottling.

I did add potassium Sorbate at the end before bottling and sweetened the wine. It made a big improvement in the taste but unlike commercial wines I have had at vineyards etc, it does not taste particularly like cherry. More like I sweetened some red wine or something :)

I have a 5 gal batch, just now on its 3rd week, from the same kit. I was wondering what yeast you used.
My primary started verry slow and the sg is just now at 1.033. Still has the cherry taste and was thinking about either putting the sorbate to it at about 1.01 or putting some cherry flavoring to it when it finishes off. What do you more experinced members think.
Oh I used the Cote des Blancs yeast.

Back