American Craft Beer Grows Again!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeRoux's Broux

Reaction score
we're makin' a difference fella's!!!!!

CRAFT GAINS 7% IN ’05 - OUTPACES ALL OTHER CATEGORIES

America’s craft brewers sold 9.0 percent more barrels of beer in 2005
versus 2004 making craft beer the fastest growing segment of the US
beverage alcohol industry for the second consecutive year, according to the
Brewers Association, the Boulder, CO-based trade association for US
craft brewers.

Spirits volume increased at 3.3 percent in 2005 and wine volume was up
2.9 percent. The import segment of the beer industry rose 7.2 percent
in 2005 while non-craft domestic beer volume declined slightly for the
year. This establishes craft beer as the fastest growing segment of
the US beverage alcohol business for the second year in a row.

While I like growth in craft beer areas. You gotta remember, a SUPER SMALL fraction of that is convertees. Most of it is young adults coming of age (or not of age yet and drinking anyway).

Bring on the growth, just don't make it sound like we converted a bunch of swill drinkers.

DeRoux's Broux said:
America’s craft brewers sold 9.0 percent more barrels of beer in 2005

Non-craft domestic beer volume declined slightly for the year.
I did my part. I haven't had a BMC in ages.

I am doing my part. I have recently came of age (a month ago) so it is nice to be able to go buy my own beer now. I have been buying specialty beers at the local grocery store (Kroger) and my college roomates are getting hooked. During our last trip, we all bought different beers and swapped. It is nice to be able to buy a six pack and have six different beers in it.

I have also noticed a growing trend among college students. After the excitement of turning 21 wears off, kids/adults are no longer content with alcoholic water. I often overhear people ask the bartender, "so what else do you got."

Times are changing.

Gone are the days when "all kinds of beer" meant Butt AND Curs Lite. Just went to Corvallis & got some parts at Joel's store, then went to the Olde World Deli and had two pints of Oregon Trail Brown.

Back