Malta Disaster

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madavmyers

Reaction score
So, I've made soda many times. Ginger beer, cranberry, coffee, apple pie soda, and many more. This time, I decided I wanted to try to make malta. Malta is one of my favorite soft drinks out there. For those who are unfamiliar with this soda, it uses malted grains, molasses, and sugar. It's basically a non-alcoholic beer. It's very popular among Latin Americans. So, I decided to make some malta last night. I followed the recipe to a t. About five hours later, I hear this explosion. I go down to my basement to find one of my bottles shattered and malta everywhere. I never had this happen in such a short amount of time. I decided to open one of the bottles, and there was a geyser about three feet high. What could have caused it to ferment so fast? If this helps, I'm in south-western PA and right now, it's pretty humid and hot. I have a dehumidifier running and my basement is at about 45% relative humidity. The temperature is probably around 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit in the basement. I hope that's enough information. I'm really confused as to how it happened so fast.:confused::confused::confused:
Thank you in advance for any help.

So, I've made soda many times. Ginger beer, cranberry, coffee, apple pie soda, and many more. This time, I decided I wanted to try to make malta. Malta is one of my favorite soft drinks out there. For those who are unfamiliar with this soda, it uses malted grains, molasses, and sugar. It's basically a non-alcoholic beer. It's very popular among Latin Americans. So, I decided to make some malta last night. I followed the recipe to a t. About five hours later, I hear this explosion. I go down to my basement to find one of my bottles shattered and malta everywhere. I never had this happen in such a short amount of time. I decided to open one of the bottles, and there was a geyser about three feet high. What could have caused it to ferment so fast? If this helps, I'm in south-western PA and right now, it's pretty humid and hot. I have a dehumidifier running and my basement is at about 45% relative humidity. The temperature is probably around 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit in the basement. I hope that's enough information. I'm really confused as to how it happened so fast.:confused::confused::confused:
Thank you in advance for any help.
What type of yeast did you use? and what was the pitch temperature of the malta? Since malta is made with grains it have natural yeast nutrient from what I hear, that may also have something to do with it.

Back