Quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe028

Reaction score
Will a 2 quart starter have any ill effects or off flavors in 5 gallons of wort? I don't have time to let the yeast settle and then pour off the top quart or so of oxygenated starter wort. Anyone do this type of thing regularly?

Didn't anyone tell you that this is NOT an exact science? You are worrying to much. That is better than not worrying enough, but relax. It will be Ok!

I make my starters directly in my primary from ingredients I am going to use in the main brew. I never pour off wort oxygenated or otherwise.

If you put your starter in the fridge most of the yeast will flocculate to the bottom in several hours. That said unless you made your starter with hopped dark malt extract and are making a pilsner it will have little influence on the flavour of your beer.

GT

There have been times where I have had a batch ferment in the primary. I will rack the first batch into the keg, then put a 2nd batch directly on top of all the settled out yeast. I think it is advantagous to do that as fermentation starts within hours and you have less chance for contamination. I haven't experienced any off flavors. I don't let either batch stay in the primary for more than 7-10d, so I haven't had a problem with off flavors from decomposing yeast.

Why don't you have time?

if the wort is cooled but sealed it'll keep for days and days without any negative effects.
so really, you do have time to put the starter in the fridge for an hour or two to settle out some yeast.

I make starters with extra light DME and just enough gravity, so it won't really have an impact on the 'real' wort if I have to pitch it without decanting the liquid.

Thanks for the replies. I was just over thinking it. It was 2qts of 1.044 extra light dme. I just added it fully and that is that. As for not enough time, you're correct I could have done it in several hours, but oh well I didn't

Back