honey blonde ale...overdose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyguner03

Reaction score
i kinda went out on my own here. my second batch for 5 gallon... i didnt want to post anything pre hand because i didnt want any one telling me what and how to do it.. so this will be my learning curve ..here is the recipe

2 LBS Gluten free Rolled Oats .. soaked for 3hrs .. dried and toasted for 30min at 350f.. let sit in bag for 3 days ..steep at 150f for 45min

60min boil

3.3LBS Sorghum syrup
1 LB Belgian soft candi sugar blonde
8oz dextrose
8oz maltodextrin
3LB honey at flameout.... maybe a lil over board opps

hops
60min .25 columbus
30min .25 columbus
15min .25 columbus
5min .25 columbus

yeast Danstar nottingham ale yeast

other
60min 1tsp gypsum
15min 1tsp irish moss
15min 1tsp yeast nutrient

I'll take any feedback .. as i have looked i used WAY to much honey..
:mug:

What you've got here is sort of a braggot, albeit a fairly thin one, and probably not nearly enough hops. You could have used half as much honey and still gotten a "strong honey character" with pronounced sweetness. You could have doubled the hops and only just barely reached "pleasantly hoppy". Thankfully you picked a good yeast which will mow through the honey with aplomb; the end result might be pleasant, though it will probably be quite different than what you envisioned (but your first several recipes will be like that, I know mine were). It'll probably taste like a lightly-hopped mead; honey has a tendency to overpower sorghum, ESPECIALLY when used in equal parts!

i knew i was in trouble when i added the honey and then realized OH SH*T i just used 3LBs of honey... and as the wort was in the ice bath i took a lil out to try and.. yeah basically what you said.. i may dry hop but i dont think that will help with anything.. oh well as long as it has alcohol I'll drink it

i couldnt hold back anymore so i took a reading and it was at 1.020.. took a sample and first wow this isnt bad .. second ahh wtf too sweet.. i hope it clears out if not guess i will keep in basement when im desperate out out of beer

Hold up, hold up. How long has it fermented for. I'd ferment for at least three weeks. Make a call on dry hopping at 14 days or later

Do you keg or bottle?

And what temp are you fermenting at.

i just wanted to see how things were going. it is still fermenting .. for now i bottle .. the temp is 64f .. i am planning on to ferment for at least 3 weeks maybe 4 weeks.

i just wanted to see how things were going. it is still fermenting .. for now i bottle .. the temp is 64f .. i am planning on to ferment for at least 3 weeks maybe 4 weeks.

Yep relax and have a home brew :)

I've used 1kg of honey before and that all fermented out. You will get more residual sweetness from candy syrup in my experience.

If it all ended up rooted (which I doubt it will) you could always blend it. Fwiw this well end more light bodied than sweet and should have a bit of kick.

ok so i couldnt wait another 2 weeks or 2months to try one. and to my surprise this turned out what i wanted!. smells fruity not sure why but does and taste is great.it does have a little dry finish .. im guessing from the honey. by late spring/summer this will be perfect. the honey i used is from trader joes .. trader joes mesquite honey .. maybe next time i will use a dry wheat yeast and hope for same but wheat tasting :mug:

ok so i couldnt wait another 2 weeks or 2months to try one. and to my surprise this turned out what i wanted!. smells fruity not sure why but does and taste is great.it does have a little dry finish .. im guessing from the honey. by late spring/summer this will be perfect. the honey i used is from trader joes .. trader joes mesquite honey .. maybe next time i will use a dry wheat yeast and hope for same but wheat tasting :mug:

Huzzah! Glad it turned out how you wanted.

Back