Extract Root Beer - didn't ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nullvalue

Reaction score
I've started making root beer for the first time (though I'm an experienced beer homebrewer).. followed some instructions online basically that says boil + mix in 4# sugar to 5gal water (bottled purified, not distilled) + extract (Zatarains) wait to reach pitching temp., throw in the yeast (I used Safale-S04) then let it sit in a fermenting bucket for about 12 hours. The idea behind this to get the bulk of the fermenting out of the way, then bottle it so it will still produce carbonation - just not explode the bottles. Anyways, I did this last night and now about 11 hours later I can't tell if it's done anything.. Looks the same, no bubbles, no foam.. Any ideas?

24 hours.. still no activity.. wondering if I should use a yeast smack pack? Though I don't want yeast-y flavored root beer either.

Yes I added some yeast nutrient and bottled it.. its carbonating now, but tastes like butt.. I think it was just the extract though - not very good stuff IMHO - I'm going to try another brand.

Back