My mouth hates IPAs now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highgravitybacon

Reaction score
I used to love them. It was my go-to beer style. But all of the sudden my mouth revolts. The piney bitterness is just horribly unpleasant to me. The same beers I used to love now are just okay. It's like my mouth isn't the same mouth as it once was. It's like I have a different mouth now.

Lagers. Hated lagers. Dopplebock to me mean "Double Shart" hated them. Belgian tripel, ass in a bottle. Not so any more. Ever since I started Seriously drinking Duvel, Westmalle, and Orval, I can't handle the hoppy beers. I know that Orval is a fairly hoppy beer, but not like an American IPA.

I even found myself ordering a Abita Purple Haze and buying Leines Berry Weiss the other day. It was like I had Chick Mouth. My god. What's next? A case of Mich Ultra in the house? Who have I become? I won't even recognize my mouth in the mirror anymore I bet.

Has this happened to anyone else? You are suddenly disgusted in that which you once loved? I don't mean wives or girlfriends. I mean much more serious things: beer.

Didn´t happend to me. Sometimes I get tired of an style, stop having it for a while and comeback to it later liking it more than I used to. When I don´t like an style my first tougth is that it´s just me, that if I´m trying something new I just have to give it a few chances before discard it, that way I learn to enjoy things that I didn´t use to. This being said I can´t stand lambics, I´ve tried dozens of really good lambics but I just don´t seem to enjoy them

highgravitybacon said:
I used to love them. It was my go-to beer style. But all of the sudden my mouth revolts. The piney bitterness is just horribly unpleasant to me. The same beers I used to love now are just okay. It's like my mouth isn't the same mouth as it once was. It's like I have a different mouth now.

Lagers. Hated lagers. Dopplebock to me mean "Double Shart" hated them. Belgian tripel, ass in a bottle. Not so any more. Ever since I started Seriously drinking Duvel, Westmalle, and Orval, I can't handle the hoppy beers. I know that Orval is a fairly hoppy beer, but not like an American IPA.

I even found myself ordering a Abita Purple Haze and buying Leines Honey Weiss the other day. It was like I had Chick Mouth. My god. What's next? A case of Mich Ultra in the house? Who have I become? I won't even recognize my mouth in the mirror anymore I bet.

Has this happened to anyone else? You are suddenly disgusted in that which you once loved? I don't mean wives or girlfriends. I mean much more serious things: beer.

It seems you have chick mouth transformation syndrome. Next thing you know you'll be exclusively buying Seagrams fuzzy navels and develop a strong urge to braid hair.
Joking aside, I previously couldn't stand IPAs. Now I can't get enough of them. So my palate changed the other way around.

You guys crack me up!

You're not seriously going to revoke and man-cards are you?

Maybe you're catching a cold or something.

Nah, it's definitely chick mouth syndrome.

Two possible causes:

Your palate and preference has changed. I used to hate IPAs and love Belgians, especially Tripels, Saisons, and BSPA's. But now I rarely want to drink Belgians. I don't hate them though. There is a time/place/mood for every beer style. My preference simply shifted from enjoying yeast forward beers to now enjoying hop forward beers.

Or less likely, you could be a victim of the Lupulin Threshold Shift. If so, stop drinking IPAs so much. Try more styles & change it up a bit. Or, try better IPAs.

lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n 1. When a
once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian. 2. The
phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if
excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will
occur. 4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough.

Two possible causes:

Your palate and preference has changed. I used to hate IPAs and love Belgians, especially Tripels, Saisons, and BSPA's. But now I rarely want to drink Belgians. I don't hate them though. There is a time/place/mood for every beer style. My preference simply shifted from enjoying yeast forward beers to now enjoying hop forward beers.

[/I]

This is me exactly. I used to LOVE Belgian styles. Anymore, I'll drink them only on occasion. LOVE IPAs now though.

Not ready to pull man cards YET. But if you start picking out lipstick colors to go with that woman mouth syndrome...well, you better turn your card in before we have to come looking for you!

Has this happened to anyone else? You are suddenly disgusted in that which you once loved?

This happens to me constantly, though I have to admit I've never grown tired of a horrifically bitter IPA. I can only drink one sometimes, but I've ever been unable to drink any. Anyway, I find that my taste preferences are very "flavor of the month" and I'll go between styles all the time.

Have you made any other life changes? Changed your diet at all, changed the drinking environment, got yourself a new girl/boyfriend who wears different perfumes? A million things change your sense of smell and likewise taste. Even drinking more or different water (tap, well, DI, etc) will cause a change in our perceived taste. When I changed up my diet to train for a Tough Mudder, my beer preference changed, too.

Now, to be frank: my wife had the same thing happen to her. She got into exploratory and heavy beers for a while. She LOVED them. Now? Well, lets just say she brought home some Leiny berry weiss the other day. So you may, in fact, have developed chick mouth. Our condolences.

this made me LOL

Should we dunk him in water or something? Then can we burn him? I swear I'm not a pyromaniac, promise.

Maybe his wife should keep track of the miles on her brooms odometer! Your not wanting to add frog spit, ground toad wart, or anything wierd to your brews are you?

Sometimes I'm in the mood for a white, sometimes a black, sometimes even a slightly brownish one...

One thing for sure though : All of them at the same time is always the best...!

;-)

Your palate might just be overloaded. Lay off the IPAs for a month or two and go back and see if you enjoy them again.

I second the overload thing. My buddy and I went to a homebrew club meeting where there were like 25 outstanding Belgian abbey-style beers for sampling. This was 6 months ago, and neither of us can STAND a big raisiny Belgian any more. Palate fatigue in the worst way. It might be this summer before I feel like another tripel.

-Rich

I even found myself ordering a Abita Purple Haze and buying Leines Berry Weiss the other day. It was like I had Chick Mouth. My god. What's next? A case of Mich Ultra in the house? Who have I become? I won't even recognize my mouth in the mirror anymore I bet.

This happens to me anytime I drink too much of a certain beer and...uh...let loose. About 2 years ago I drank waaaaaay too much IPA and barfed that night. I couldn't drink IPA's for well over a year. I'm just now getting back into them. And last summer I had an incident with a scotch ale, same thing, I can't even look at it without getting a weak stomach.

In the meantime I went from loathing Belgian beers to absolutely loving them. So, there's that.

Had something similar happen to me. In my case I started having a strange piney resiny reaction to almost all beers for about 2 weeks. On my second beer it kept starting to feel/taste like pine resin was building up on my tongue where that is all I could taste. Even with a non hoppy Guiness from the bar. I actually stopped drinking beer for a week or two due to being busy and tired and just not really wanting one, and when I went back all was better again.

Maybe it is a sign of my palate shifting to allow me to differentiate between ingredients more and needed to dial in a little. Who knows. Switch to something that is pleasing to you for a while and then have a hop bomb or a belgian or something as a treat and see if things have changed. I know I have had IPA fatigue several times as well.

It could be anything. So long as you aren't trading in homebrew and other delicious beers for fizzy lemonade malt beverages or Zima.

I'm in a similar boat.... 3-4 years ago I loved IPA's and beers on the less sweet side. I completely got out of homebrewing in 2009 and started drinking bourbon with diet coke in an effort to cut calories and lose weight. I think getting used to the sweet taste of bourbon effected my palate, as I now find IPA's hard to drink.

Fast forward to 6 months ago, I drink a Jeremiah Red at BJ's and LOVE the sweet malty taste with low bitterness. This sets me on a quest to find a beer I can buy at the store that tastes similar. The closest I can find is Eye of the Hawk, but I can only get it by special ordering it a case at a time, at $40 a case.

Then I think, $40 a case???? Heck, I can make a 5 gallon clone for $25. Thus, now I am heavily back into homebrewing trying to tweak a recipe to replicate that malty sweet Jeremiah Red.

I guess palates do change, so to each their own!

I've shifted that way too. I used to like big IPAs like Boneshaker, but recently have switched to english style ales and german lagers.

I'm sure i'll be back to the IPAs in time, but for now lighter, more malt oriented beers are my go-to drink.

I've never liked IPAs. I've tried a few, but I just really don't like hoppy beers. I prefer malty ones, or maybe yeasty ones. I like stouts, especially oatmeal and imperial stouts, scottish ales, and porters. And Abbey ales.

That said, tastes do change. And sometimes you'll try one and not like it, then later try it again and love it. It could be the temperature at serving. It could be what you are eating with it. It could be that particular bottle wasn't aged or carbed right, or something else.

Tastes change over time. I like foods now that I used to hate, and avoid foods I used to love. My brother started out liking a particular microbrew near where he lives. Then he spent several years feeling indifferent about it, or even disliking it. But he had one not too long ago and said it was really good. So these things happen.

I suggest a Tom Selleck beard. If having that over your mouth doesn't remind it it's a man mouth nothing will.

If that doesn't work, eat raw habaneros. Punish it for punishing you.

LOL, I seriously just started laughing at work. People are probably wondering what the heck I'm doing. Gotta love it.

Punish it for punishing you. Hilarious.

My taste in beer is pretty fluid (no pun intended). I'll get on a hop bomb kick, then move on to malty stuff, or Belgians, or whatever. Something I might be crazy about at one point in time, I'll be completely unimpressed by 6 months later.

Like others have said, it's probably just a matter of change in diet, illness, or palette overload. I eat a lot of spicy food, to the point that food that isn't necessarily bland, but just more savory, can taste kind of "blah" sometimes. I think IPAs can be the same way.

I'm also a little surprised that a female poster hasn't shown up yet for the "Hey, who says chicks can't like IPAs?!"-post. It's only a matter of time...:p

My taste in beer is pretty fluid (no pun intended). I'll get on a hop bomb kick, then move on to malty stuff, or Belgians, or whatever. Something I might be crazy about at one point in time, I'll be completely unimpressed by 6 months later.

Like others have said, it's probably just a matter of change in diet, illness, or palette overload. I eat a lot of spicy food, to the point that food that isn't necessarily bland, but just more savory, can taste kind of "blah" sometimes. I think IPAs can be the same way.

I'm also a little surprised that a female poster hasn't shown up yet for the "Hey, who says chicks can't like IPAs?!"-post. It's only a matter of time...:p
Like I said, are you pregnant? Don't love IPA's. My sister in law loves, no loves, the hop bomb. Shush nobody has to know about this thread, I won't tell the sisters.

Back