Go-Bag ... Disaster Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob_Marley

Reaction score
With the storm bearing down on the East Coast, it reminds me of how important Disaster Kits, a Go-Bag, Disaster Bag, Bug-Out Bag, or Get-Home Bag can be.

I’m curious how many here keep any of these.

It's a bit late but, maybe such info can be of provide ideas or reminders for those affected.

I keep:
A home disaster kit in a number of rubbermaid storage containers.
A Go-Bag which is in a giant hockey duffel (suitable for vehicle travel)
and a Bug-Out Bag which is an Alice Pack with frame and some Load Bearing Equipment (H-harness ... buttpack etc).

The Bug out stuff is also part of the vehicle Go-Bag

I don't have a "Get-Home Bag" right now (one which you keep in your car in case you are in a disaster away from home) ... but will eventually.

The bags are all a work-in-progress ... if I get a chance later to update the equipment list I'll try to get it posted.

Do you keep any of these Bags/Kits.
What items?

I have an EDC - Every Day Carry kit, simple stuff, needles, trhead, fishing line, hooks, fire starter, duct tape, aluminum foil - everything I can fit into an Altoids container. 1 for each of us.
We have emergency kits in each vehicle, food and water for up to 3 days, blankets, more fire starters, larger folding tools, saws, shovels, axe, other tools. We don't want to risk anything if we go on a trip up here because we don't stick to all of the main roads.
We also have a large store of dried/preserved goods and jugs of water at the house, lot's of extra gear and clothing.

I keep a bug-out bag at the casa. I've been working on it for the last couple months so it's not complete but I'll list what I have in the duffel bag:

Surefire torch light with 20 batteries for it
Two maglite flashlights with extra batteries
First aid kit
Strike anywhere matches in PVC capsule
Bottle Rockets (signal flare) in PVC capsule
Whistle
Small mirror
Binoculars
Two small tarps
Two Mylar emergency blankets
Ponchos
Fire striker
Several cheap knives and box cutters
Fishing line w/ hooks and weights
Parachord
Power inverter
Small folding shovel
Hatchet
Folding saw
Cans of dog food
Beef jerky
Canned chicken
Two bags of rice
Nuts, energy bars, gum, candy, mints
Apple cider vinegar
Canteen
Two flasks of vodka
Rubbing alcohol
Hammer, punch, funnel and gas can
Hand crank radio
Handheld cb
Road maps
Compass
Assorted batteries
Small handheld gps
Socks
Gloves
Duct and electrical tape

There's probably more stuff in there but that's all I can think of off the top of my head. If, for whatever reason, I had to bail from Texas my safe location is the family farm in Northern Colorado so the bag would have to serve me for quite a distance. I don't expect to ever have to use it but it'd be imprudent not to have one.

I don't keep a bag packed, but since I'm a pretty avid backpacker and hobbyist I have everything I need and could be ready to go in less than an hour with a kit suited to the situation.

Resurrecting an old thread here:

Anybody done much with Paracord?

I wear one of those paracord survival bracelets with like 10 ft or so of paracord. I don't know the exact length since a friend's wife made it for me. We use it all the time in the Navy for various applications, strong stuff.

With all of the foraging and stuff we do out here, my wife was looking to have me make a couple of those bracelets. She has been watching a lot of the Dual Survivor show on TV. I have read Cody Lundin's book 98.6 Degrees, not bad.

I have been checking online and looking at the You Tube videos for braiding paracord and various projects. I have a bunch out in the garage,

With all of the foraging and stuff we do out here, my wife was looking to have me make a couple of those bracelets. She has been watching a lot of the Dual Survivor show on TV. I have read Cody Lundin's book 98.6 Degrees, not bad.

I have been checking online and looking at the You Tube videos for braiding paracord and various projects. I have a bunch out in the garage,

I'd like to try my hand at making one. Sounds like a fun and very practical project. The one my friend's wife made is made out two pieces of cord and I'd rather have one that is one continuous length of cord. 98.6 Degrees sounds good. Might have to pick myself up a copy. Thanks for the tip.

I did a lot of rope and line work back in my early sailor days. I have forgotten much but my oldest daughter found a sailor's knot and braids book she is going to send me from Illinois.

I also did macrame for while in the early 80s.

So is his book a how to, his story or both?

A bit of both. He uses experience, a little bit of science and humor to get his points across. I can break the book into 3 sections:
The 1st part is mostly how we end up in survival situations and how we can potentially succumb to those situations.
The 2nd part is more of the "how to" section, i. e., how to keep warm, keep cool, keep dry, hydrated, etc.
The 3rd part is putting together your kit emphasizing multipurpose but reliable, sturdy, portable (easy to carry) tools.

Back