Cleaning Aluminum Pot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tardisode

Reaction score
So I was a fool and I had left my aluminum brewpot outside full of water for the last few months (Dieting had slowed my brewing down considerably) There appears to be little spikes of corrosion lining the bottom of the pot and they arent coming off with light scrubbing. I dont want to use anything caustic, i tried a two day PBW soak to no avail. I dont want to have to buy a new one, even though they are cheap. Any ideas on how to clean this sucker?

Google Alumabrite. Strong stuff but I know that it works on crappy aluminum storm doors and is also used on marine aluminum surfaces.

Rinse well and re-do the oxidation boil..

OMO

bosco

Scrub the hell out of it w/ and abrasive scrubby or even wet/dry sandpaper to restore a smoother interior...then eroxidze w/ boiling water...don't be afraid to tear into it good. You are just refinishing the aluminum, and the fact that it is soft and will "cut" well to provide a decent finish.

yea some 600 grit sandpaper is what you want. after you refinish it, fill it to the brim with water and either boil it for an hour or two, or leave it overnight (but not for months!) to build up the oxide layer again.

Back