Craft beer stores in Philly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ao125

Reaction score
My fiancee is going up to Philly in a few weeks, and will be near the expo center.

Is anyone aware of any craft beer stores near there?

Thanks!

The Foodery can be pricey, but they have an incredible selection of bottles:

http://www.fooderybeer.com/

I've only been to the one on 2nd and Poplar, not sure what the other is like.

Depending where she is, it might be a little out of the way, though.

I have family in Philly they go to the surrounding states (NJ/DE) to buy craft beer. This is mainly due to the outdated (IMHO) laws the commonwealth of PA has which makes it expensive and difficult. Now if you want to hit brew pubs and bars in the city that is a different story.

I have family in Philly they go to the surrounding states (NJ/DE) to buy craft beer. This is mainly due to the outdated (IMHO) laws the commonwealth of PA has which makes it expensive and difficult. Now if you want to hit brew pubs and bars in the city that is a different story.

Right—in PA, a beer distributor can only sell cases, no 6-packs or singles. If you want bottles, you have to go to a "bottle shop" or a restaurant/bar that sells beer to go (lots of pizza places do this). Prices at distributors for cases are usually quite good, but a bottle shop will be a little more expensive.

Stop at Total Wine in Claymont, DE on the way back.
It's cheaper & HUGE selection of single bottles.

It's on Naaman's Rd right off the I-495. Where I-95 S & I-495 S split, take I-495 & get off the first exit (Naaman's Rd). Go about a mile & it's in the Home Depot shopping Center on your right.

There are a handful of bottle shops in the city, but its currently expensive.

The Foodery is the most overpriced but has a massive selection.

The best place Ive gone to in the city as far as prices and great selection go is "Beer Heaven" on Delaware Ave (Columbus blvd). Their prices are unmatched as far as bottle shops go within city limits.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=beer+heaven+delaware+ave&hl=en&fb=1&gl=us&hq=beer+heaven&hnear=0x89c6c866a8c2de13:0x7e1461cc5e5f8403,Delaware+Ave,+Philadelphia,+PA+19123&cid=0,0,8149087951231515944&t=h&z=16

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I'm putting a list together for her now, of things I can't get in the DC area.

As was stated earlier, the prices at the distributors are usually really good. If there's something on your list you'd like to drink more than a sixer of, you might want to go for a full case.

Good food and microbrews at the elephant bar at the crown plaza in the center of Philly. Spent a week there recently on business and they had a decent selection on tap..

There are a handful of bottle shops in the city, but its currently expensive.

The Foodery is the most overpriced but has a massive selection.

The best place Ive gone to in the city as far as prices and great selection go is "Beer Heaven" on Delaware Ave (Columbus blvd). Their prices are unmatched as far as bottle shops go within city limits.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=beer+heaven+delaware+ave&hl=en&fb=1&gl=us&hq=beer+heaven&hnear=0x89c6c866a8c2de13:0x7e1461cc5e5f8403,Delaware+Ave,+Philadelphia,+PA+19123&cid=0,0,8149087951231515944&t=h&z=16

+1 for Beer Heaven. I make the trip from South Jersey to go there once in a while since it's easy to get to and the selection is pretty good. The prices at all the shops in Philly are more expensive than what I pay in Jersey but thats the trade up for selection.

Foodery at second and poplar and stop in at one of the cool bars in that area before hand. Lots of craft beer bars in that area. Standard Tap and North 3rd are two of the big ones

Is she going to be near the Expo Center at Oaks? If so, Phoenixville is nearby and has some good restaurants/bars with craft beer. Appalachian Brewing Company is right up from Oaks in Collegeville, as well.

Pinnichios in media is one of my favs. If you are coming from DC, it is a fairly easy stop and you do not have to deal with city parking. The beer shoppe is also good.

Latest posts

Back