Growing Hops in Seattle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steven_b

Reaction score
Picking up my Cascade hop rhizomes tomorrow. Any tips when growing in the Seattle area?

I live in a townhouse. I am going to plant them in a spot that gets early sun, late shade. I have grown corn in the same spot the past couple of years successfully, so I figure the hops should get enough sun.

I am planning to skip a trellis the first year and train them to grow on our fence (should create a nice privacy screen).

Thanks in advance.

The main thing is to make a mound and plant them in that so they are above the water table while we get all that rain. :)

My Cascades are looking great. Cascades are impossible to kill and the have a great color. The first year you really don't need much of a trellis do you could train them horizontally. They grow pretty high still if you let them. Just not very fully.

I need some more varieties. I have a single wide mobile on the property that has a separate roof built over it that I can train them up so I could put up to 10 plants out there. I have 4 varieties but one may be dead. I just need to take the time to see which varieties are more universal for brewing.

I am happy to report that after almost a month, I finally have sprouts! Come on Seattle sunshine!

Cheers!

I've been growing hops that I transplanted from a friends house. His was huge - grew up the side of his two story house and across the roof. The get bigger and can spread year to year. Mind trail up one 12 foot tree stump, across a 10 foot line and down another 12 foot tree stump. Looking forward to using these in September.

Latest posts

Back