Clearing agents - substantial?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Just finishing off a beer, waiting for it to clear ready for the keg. I've never bothered with a clearing agent for anything except strong wines, but is it worth adding something to this? The reason I ask is because I'm rather low on beer shy of a few lagers (boooo!) in the cupboard, and I wouldn't mind getting the next one on as soon as possible. I could let it clear in the keg, but I prefer to tip it when it's done to get the last few pints out, and I won't be able to with high sediment.

Are they particularly good at what they do, or is it just splitting hairs with beer?

I used gelatin and was amazed with how it caused the beer to clear. In a clear carboy you could see the line where it had cleared and where it was still cloudy. I took a couple days as I remember but still much faster than just letting it settle out naturally.

I use gelatin as well. Works great, only takes a couple of days. Cold crashing is a huge help, too. I typically do that first and use the finings in the keg to get better mixing without aeration.

I'm confused by this, however:
. .. I could let it clear in the keg, but I prefer to tip it when it's done to get the last few pints out, and I won't be able to with high sediment. . . .

Sounds like you've got a short dip tube. When I kick a keg, there's never more than a couple of ounces in the bottom.

I'm on one of these bog standard affairs, complete with the 3 odd inches of space between the bottom and the tap. When it hits tap line, you get the person nearest to you to tip the keg gently a little, getting the last few pints out :p

budgetbarrell.jpg

I've added gelatine as suggested! Still got some garage renovation to do before I have the ability to cold crash, but will definitely bear that in mind for the future. Apparently the theory behind gelatine is one to do with the yeast clumping to the gelatine as it falls through the brew, so I'm happy not to mix. That's very "either way" though :)

Ahh, I see. I didn't notice that you were from the UK. When folks say "keg" in here, I automatically think of the 5 gallon "corney" kegs common in the States. I've actually never seen the contraption you posted. Is there some sort of CO2 breather for that, or do you just need to drink quickly once you start pulling from it?

We buy co2 in a small container that lasts about 4 kegs worth for around 2.50. They carbonate and purge the oxygen, but it's difficult to keep them cool. Winter is definitely the best time as my conservatory can drop below freezing at night! Cool, carbonated beer on tap and the keg costs just 30 quid. Wahay!

Back