Question on heating elements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddknight

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently completed an electric brewing rig similar to Kal's setup. It has a 240v setup with the 5500 ulwd heating element in my 15 g kettle. I use this to mainly make 5 and 10 g batches. I would like to make small 3 gal test batches though and have an extra kettle available to convert for this. I want to use the same power source and setup that I currently have. I have a 240v cord and plug to plug into the control panel but thought getting the same 5500w element would be big overkill. Can I use a 120w 1500 or 2000w element and still wire it up through the 240v capable control panel? I figured that the element would only draw the needed power and it would be fine but wanted to make sure. I thought maybe changing to smaller power cord and still using the plug I bought to connect to the control panel. This is the plug I have:

Leviton 2621 30 Amp, 250 Volt, NEMA L6-30P, 2P, 3W, Locking Plug, Industrial Grade, Grounding - Black-White

Thanks for any advice!

Back