3 FLoyds Zombie Dust attempt. Help/info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed a 3+ gallon all grain ZD today with citra and a few other hops. Did the hop bursting method with 2 - 4 different hops per interval. Was the boil aromatic. Everything was going fine til about 8+ minutes before flame out. The propane ran out but had a back up canister ready. Dang was it a long day but there's room in the temperature closet so why not.

Going to dry hop with citra remnants along with cascade and maybe something else. Should be interesting.

Pitched safale us-04 at 4 pm yesterday then checked this morning around 9 am. Wow that yeast is active. It was bubbling every second. Am I the only one who smiles hearing an active bubbler?

Mine has been in the keg for exactly seven days now. This beer is AMAZING! I know it's called an "American Pale Ale", but it definitely fits the IPA paramaters a little more closely. Either way, this is a phenominal beer that won't last long around my house. Now the challenge is to duplicate this beer, but have it come in around 4.5% ABV so I can drink it in greater quantities!

Glad you liked it. I am actually pondering going the other way, and doing an imperial version (9-10%).

I got my last batch kegged a couple days ago. It is damn good also.

i just made a citra pale ale / IPA (so close due to the overlapping parameters) But Skeez this is going next in my fermenter thanks for sharing and Ill update when I get it done :) :mug:

So what's everyone's verdict on the best yeast to use for this beer?

My 3rd attempt is just about finished in primary and I used Wyeast ESB 1968 this time.

It's seems most people like using the dry yeast for this beer. Is that just because of availability & cost, or do you prefer the flavour?

Cheers

curry767 said:

My 3rd attempt is just about finished in primary and I used Wyeast ESB 1968 this time.

It's seems most people like using the dry yeast for this beer. Is that just because of availability & cost, or do you prefer the flavour?

Cheers

I've brewed a total of 24 gallons using 1968. I think it is damn close to perfect (I've got plenty of the real thing to taste against).

skeezer - Gravity has now reached 1.012 from 1.064. The nearly 2 per second bubbles have almost silenced and it's been only 4 days. Tasted the sample and it's light tasting with a bit of body, slightly bitter and grape fruity...very nice.

I usually wait about 10 days or so before a 5 day dry hop. Then do the cold crash.

Would you recommend moving the schedule up being that the gravity reads such?

Cheers

I used 1968 and the beer turned out fantastic.

Schibbz- you are lucky to have the real deal. I am gonna try to get some when I go to Dark Lord Day.

Trubhead- I would probably wait the 10 days to let the yeast clean up a little. What temp did you mash at?

I have used s05, s04, and 1968. I like the s05 the least. S04 is great, and the 1968 is also, but I just kegged it and left town so haven't got a chance to really drink on it. I will do a head to head with it and s04 when I get home.

Which hop schedule is correct? The AG version has no 60 min add and the amounts are different from AG to PM.

Brewskii said:
Which hop schedule is correct? The AG version has no 60 min add and the amounts are different from AG to PM.

Which are you doing? If partial mash, smaller boil you need the extra 60 min addition to get the ibus. If you can do a full boil leave it out.

skeezer - I'm usually very temperature attentive but the cooler morning (imagine that in FL) threw me off a bit...won't get fooled again. Attempted to mash at 151 but hit 149 with additional water. 2nd running was better at 163. By the way mash efficiency has been upper 70s so didn't boil off as much this time (less ABV) and the 3 gallon grain bill filled a 3.5+ gallon wort after boil.

I'll give it 10 days just in case the yeast find more to eat. Sample tastes nice and the hop order arrived today so all's well. Might even please those non hop heads.

skeezerpleezer said:
Schibbz- you are lucky to have the real deal. I am gonna try to get some when I go to Dark Lord Day.

I am so mad about the ticket sales. I couldn't get them in the first 2 minutes of online sales before they sold out, and was diving home from Madison Sunday morning when they announced sales at the brew pub. Needless to say, there was a 200 person line by the time I got home (another 2 hours to the pub from home).

Schnibbz said:
I am so mad about the ticket sales. I couldn't get them in the first 2 minutes of online sales before they sold out, and was diving home from Madison Sunday morning when they announced sales at the brew pub. Needless to say, there was a 200 person line by the time I got home (another 2 hours to the pub from home).

If you live nearby and want to trade some beers let me know. I just got some Pliny, and will get more next week if you want to trade for some ZD. We can trade homebrews or others if you want also. IM me if you want to.

I have a bunch of Russian River sours also....and and endless supply of RR beers.

So those of you all who have made and have drunk it, what are the general thoughts regarding how long to leave it sitting in the keg before maximum enjoyment?

Damn! Nice job. I was gonna enter into that comp, but was too lazy and didn't get any bottled in time. I will say, my latest batch is insane (1968 yeast), it won't last long. i am gonna try to brew another batch in a couple weeks.

For those of you that have used the Wyeast ESB (1968) yeast, how have you managed the diacetyl rest that Wyeast recommend?

I will be racking to secondary tonight and I planning on dry hopping at the same time. My plan is to conduct the diacetyl rest whilst the dry hop is in progress. Can anyone see a problem with this?

Also what temperature have you being using for the diacetyl rest?

Cheers

For those of you that have used the Wyeast ESB (1968) yeast, how have you managed the diacetyl rest that Wyeast recommend?

I will be racking to secondary tonight and I planning on dry hopping at the same time. My plan is to conduct the diacetyl rest whilst the dry hop is in progress. Can anyone see a problem with this?

Also what temperature have you being using for the diacetyl rest?

Cheers

I did 68 for 14 days and 3 days at 71. Turned out good.

A couple more days before dry hopping and eager to concoct a hops combo. Took a sample out of the fermenter and the yeast have done there job...total citrus bomb pale ale. Thanks for the recipe.

Going to start a full boil right now Ill do 5 gallons and top back up after evaporation or do you guys over shoot 5 gallon? if so how much? If anyone can answer this for me I would be grateful, This is my first full boil.

Gigan said:
Going to start a full boil right now Ill do 5 gallons and top back up after evaporation or do you guys over shoot 5 gallon? if so how much? If anyone can answer this for me I would be grateful, This is my first full boil.

If you can only boil 5 gallons safely, than do that. I wouldn't dilute unless you overshoot your OG.

I got an 8 gallon pot I guess Ill go 5 gallons and add water before I put a percentage of the dme (late addition)?

If you can only boil 5 gallons safely, than do that. I wouldn't dilute unless you overshoot your OG.

+1

depends on your setup / gear. I have a big boil pot... I like to have 5.5g in my fermentor and I boil off 1g in the boil, so I shoot for 6.5g at the start of the boil. Hope that helps

Gigan said:
I got an 8 gallon pot I guess Ill go 5 gallons and add water before I put a percentage of the dme (late addition)?

I use an 8g pot and usually start with 6.5-7g for all my beers. To keep boil overs from happening, I have a spray bottle full of water handy and when the hot break begins, spray it with water and stir for a couple minutes, then it is good to go. Make sure it doesn't boil too heavy or it can splash out.

Thanx Skeez! Also skip the 60 min hops add, and could you explain FWH? Not asking too much am I? :p Does it apply to extract brewing?

For all grain, you add the FWH (first wort hops) to the first runnings and let them steep, then leave them in for the whole boil. It provides a less harsh bitterness and supposedy some flavor/aroma also.

For extract, I would just add it during the steeping of the grains.

There are a lot of threads about FWH. Let us know if you have other questions.

cool ya was reading some now. Thank you guys, One last thing the aa's on my citra are higher than what you used mine are at 13.9 should I scale back the amounts to reach ibus around 60? Coming in at the 90's right now

The original recipe calculates the FWH ibus as a 20 minute addition, as that seems to be the consensus around here of what the perceived bitterness is. If you have beer smith you can easily change that by selecting FWH, then put boil time as 20 min. That's probably where the big difference is.

I thought I had updated the OP to say what my last post did. I got it added now. As far as scaling it back, some people have said they would up the ibus, but it has a nice bitterness to it, and lots of flavor/aroma. I probably wouldn't worry about scaling it back, but it would be fine if you did.

ok mid way compromise at 76.8 ibus and did I mention Im entering this in a competition :) ? hoping to get some good feedback from the judges at least :) Ill keep you all posted.

Back