Driving with wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrad1

Reaction score
I'm going home to my parents next weekend, and thought it would be fun to do my brew day back home, since they haven't seen it yet and my mom likes to make wine so I think she would like to see how beer is made. My question is, if I brew on Sunday if I don't pitch yeast until I get back it would be fine to drive 2 hours with the wort? Also any experiences doing this would be nice, I already plan to buckle the carboy into the seat to avoid any messes.

You will have some Grade-A aeration! I do this from time to time when i do a joint-brew session at my buddy's place. He only lives 30 min. away though.

I think you'd be fine as long as you cool it first. Should help get in some aeration.

I have done this and it worked out fine. Just have to find a way to really strap that baby in because it'll slosh towards the top of the bucket easier than you think. I realize the lid will be on but it can still leak out if it's sloshing to the top for a long time.

I didn't use the seat and buckle though. I actually found the floor on the passenger side to be much more steady than up on the seat. I set the bucket on the floor and then supported it by wedging things around it. Worked great. Good luck!

I did this a couple of weeks ago. I just through my fermenter in the backseat, and buckled it up! And yes, the airlock started to "blurp" halfway through my drive home..... I'll be bottling it this weekend. I'm sure your batch will turn out fine!

I've let beer sit for a whole day doing the "no chill" method. Covered of course. So there is no reason why your beer wouldn't last a 2 hour drive home as long as you cover it well. It will be fine.

Sounds like my only worries are getting pulled over and having to explain to the police why I have 5 gallons of beer sitting next to me :p

Oxygen for the first 24 hours is still fine, so last Saturday I pitched, had fun at the club picnic, then drove home.

Back