My Keezer - just (almost) finished

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my almost finished keezer. I still need two more gas disconnects and to lengthen the liquid tubing to prevent foaming. I'm looking for a way to attach a drip tray relatively easily to the front of the freezer. You can see that I need one from the splatters visible on the front of the keezer.

Here's my garage with two chest freezers:
Keezer1.jpg

The first is a fermentation chamber, which holds two carboys easily. The Cream Ale I brewed two days ago is about to need the blow off tubing:
Keezer2.jpg

The front of the keezer:
Keezer3.jpg

Now with the lid open. It will hold four kegs and a 10 lb CO2 tank, although I obviously only have it set up for two. (I have a another kegerator inside the house already with two taps.) Right now it has two kegs, an ESB and a mild, and a carboy that is cold-crashing:
Keezer4.jpg

A close-up view of the gas tubing:
Keezer5.jpg

My Ranco's:
Keezer6.jpg

Relatively easy project really, especially with all of the excellent advice and build threads on this forum (thanks). I didn't take pics of my build, because I really didn't do anything different than anybody else. I used 1x4 lumber with some extra wood at the corners and where the hinges attach. I went with smaller/lighter wood than most because I wanted to attach the color to the lid, not the body of the freezer and I wanted the springs to be able to hold the lid open. They will, but just barely.

Good job! I would remove the power cables from in between the two freezers as the outside walls get very hot as they cool. That jumble of power cables and heat just scream fire to me. (old fireman talking).

Good job! I would remove the power cables from in between the two freezers as the outside walls get very hot as they cool. That jumble of power cables and heat just scream fire to me. (old fireman talking).

<fire nerd>

Ed speaks the truth on this one, we had two electrical fires in the past three weeks due mostly to extension cable use feeding power to high power demand items (one of the extension cables was powering an entire kitchen, stove microwave, fridge... everything :confused:)

Room and contents on the first and just some interior damage on the second but the calls were literally down the street otherwise they could have progressed quickly... Old houses row houses + fire = bad.

Use a heavy extension cable but do not get much longer than you will need to plug into your receptacle, and don't over tax lines!

</fire nerd>

Nice clean build, did you have to play around with the springs to have them support the lid? Mine were not strong enough to keep it open, now i have my collar attached to the freezer and not to the lid :eek:.

Nice clean build, did you have to play around with the springs to have them support the lid? Mine were not strong enough to keep it open, now i have my collar attached to the freezer and not to the lid :eek:.

I didn't adjust the springs, but I did use lighter wood than most people.

I'll take a look at the extension cords. I'd prefer not to use them at all, but that isn't happening. Luckily the two freezers rarely run at the same time.

Looks great :)

At what temp are you fermenting both of your beers at?

I don't think I've seen the collar hooked up to the lid like that on the keezer. Seems like a lot of weight. Why not hook the collar to the base instead of the lid, just curious.

Looks great :)

At what temp are you fermenting both of your beers at?

I don't think I've seen the collar hooked up to the lid like that on the keezer. Seems like a lot of weight. Why not hook the collar to the base instead of the lid, just curious.

If you hook the collar to the base you have to lift the kegs higher to get them in and negotiate a tangle of hoses. With the collar on the lid, most of the hoses come up out of the way when you open it.

This basically looks like want I want to do as well. I also think you have the same freezer as I do... a Kenmore upright. I want to get another to ferment. I will be mounting the collar on the lid as well. Thanks for the post!

Back