Will I have to pitch more yeast before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
After reading this...

Originally Posted by Palmer
The following is a general procedure for using a secondary fermentor.

Allow the Primary Fermentation stage to wind down. This will be 2 - 6 days (4 - 10 days for lagers) after pitching when the bubbling rate drops off dramatically to about 1-5 per minute. The krausen will have started to settle back into the beer.
Using a sanitized siphon (no sucking or splashing!), rack the beer off the trub into a another clean fermentor and affix an airlock. The beer should still be fairly cloudy with suspended yeast.
Racking from the primary may be done at any time after primary fermentation has more-or-less completed. (Although if it has been more than 3 weeks, you may as well bottle.) Most brewers will notice a brief increase in activity after racking, but then all activity may cease. This is very normal, it is not additional primary fermentation per se, but just dissolved carbon dioxide coming out of solution due to the disturbance. Fermentation (conditioning) is still taking place, so just leave it alone. A minimum useful time in the secondary fermentor is two weeks. Overly long times in the secondary (for light ales- more than 6 weeks) may require the addition of fresh yeast at bottling time for good carbonation. Always use the same strain as the original. This situation is usually not a concern. See the next chapter and the Recommended Reading Appendix for related information on lager brewing.

I have a High Gravity Bock (9.5%ABV) that has been in secondary for 5 weeks. How can I check to see if I will have to add more yeast at bottling?

First of all, 2-6 days in primary is not enough. A week and a half to two weeks works for me.

As far as your brew is concerned, I wouldn't worry about pitching more yeast. That beer still has plenty of yeast in suspension and will carb just fine.

+1

I've left beer to condition for up to 3 months and not added any yeast. Yes it takes more then 2-3 weeks at room temperature to carbonate but they were big beers and needed more time anyways so not a problem.

GT

+1

I've left beer to condition for up to 3 months and not added any yeast. Yes it takes more then 2-3 weeks at room temperature to carbonate but they were big beers and needed more time anyways so not a problem.

GT

How big are we talking, this beer was 1.092 OG that attenuated down to 1.020.

First of all, 2-6 days in primary is not enough. A week and a half to two weeks works for me.

This beer was in primary for 3 weeks. It is a couple days older than 8 weeks right now.

As far as your brew is concerned, I wouldn't worry about pitching more yeast. That beer still has plenty of yeast in suspension and will carb just fine.

Even with the high ABV? What can Notty withstand?

This beer was in primary for 3 weeks. It is a couple days older than 8 weeks right now.

I was just referring to that Palmer post.

Even with the high ABV? What can Notty withstand?

Nottingham is said to have a high alcohol tolerance and is well suited to high gravity beers. I think you'll be alright.

you'll be fine with not pitching more.

Although just pointing out that notty is not a lager yeast and a (dopple?)bock is. So this is really probably more along the lines of a dark brown/porter.

Nottingham is said to have a high alcohol tolerance and is well suited to high gravity beers. I think you'll be alright.

How much longer can I go in primary? I wasn't planning to bottle until March. Should I go that long?

March is fine, but I'd get it off the yeast and to a secondary before then.

I have a High Gravity Bock (9.5%ABV) that has been in secondary for 5 weeks

I think you should be fine going a few more weeks. I've done secondary for a couple months (granted with lower gravity brews) and still had no problem with carbonation. I personally wouldn't go much longer than the end of the month though. The beer can still age in the bottle.

Back