WLP670 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
I keep all my gear clean and sanitized,, but wanted to know if I should have separate brew gear for this yeast?? If I read everything correctly it looks like there is no bacteria funk in this mix but rather only yeasty (which should be able to be okay with good sanitation).. Am I missing something??

I keep all my gear clean and sanitized,, but wanted to know if I should have separate brew gear for this yeast?? If I read everything correctly it looks like there is no bacteria funk in this mix but rather only yeasty (which should be able to be okay with good sanitation).. Am I missing something??

WLP670 is sacch + brett.

Lot of different opinions on separating gear for clean & wild beers, but handing down a set of cold side plastic for wild beers is pretty common. You can share fermenters if you clean and sanitize really, really well.

I'm of the opposite opinion. Just sanitize well, it'll go away. Brewed a Dubbel on the same PET carboy and bottling equipment after a Farmhouse Ale with 670, and the Brett didn't transfer, no signs of infection, no flavor carryover, no funk. Good ol' StarSan.

I'm of the opposite opinion. Just sanitize well, it'll go away. Brewed a Dubbel on the same PET carboy and bottling equipment after a Farmhouse Ale with 670, and the Brett didn't transfer, no signs of infection, no flavor carryover, no funk. Good ol' StarSan.

I'd say clean well, then sanitize well. Cleaning is more important, sanitizing is just insurance.

i use glass carboys for anything wild I make and do a hand-me-down with my bottlign bucket, siphons, etc. The glass carboys get filled with PBW for 24hrs then rinsed and some starsan added to sit until next use. Its not worth it to ruin an entire batch of subsequent beer

I'd say clean well, then sanitize well. Cleaning is more important, sanitizing is just insurance.

That kinda goes without saying, doesn't it? If it's not clean, sanitizing doesn't do jack. Cleaning well but missing something in your sanitizing, though, will probably be the bigger problem here, because the unwanted yeast could still be alive.

That kinda goes without saying, doesn't it? If it's not clean, sanitizing doesn't do jack. Cleaning well but missing something in your sanitizing, though, will probably be the bigger problem here, because the unwanted yeast could still be alive.

Totally agree, but you'd be surprised what people do. I've seen some weird beliefs.

In theory, cleaning well should give a sanitary result. Sanitizing should really be unnecessary, it's more insurance against insects and dust than a 'final cleaning step'.

In theory, cleaning well should give a sanitary result. Sanitizing should really be unnecessary, it's more insurance against insects and dust than a 'final cleaning step'.
i agree that sanitizing is not cleaning, and cleaning is not sanitizing... but i don't agree that cleaning will result in a sanitary surface and that a second sanitizing step is unnecessary. maybe in theory, sure... but we live in practice :mug:

i agree that sanitizing is not cleaning, and cleaning is not sanitizing... but i don't agree that cleaning will result in a sanitary surface and that a second sanitizing step is unnecessary. maybe in theory, sure... but we live in practice :mug:

Cleaning a surface properly should result in zero bacteria being present. Generally speaking we're not that thorough or perfect, but we should strive to be.

The main point is that cleaning is the more vital of the two, sanitizing is essentially bonus.

Back