Simple IIPA - First recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shortrc

Reaction score
Hi all,

This is going to be my first time creating an IIPA from scratch and I wanted to get some opinions. Here is what I have so far.

1lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (steeping grains)
13lbs Pale Liquid Extract
3oz Centennial (Continuous hop starting at 60mins)
3oz Simcoe (Continuous hop starting at 30mins)
1.5oz Citra (Add at 5mins)
Irish Moss
1.5oz Citra (Dry hop 7 days)
2pkg Safale American US-05

How's it looking?

Hi all,

This is going to be my first time creating an IIPA from scratch and I wanted to get some opinions. Here is what I have so far.

1lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (steeping grains)
13lbs Pale Liquid Extract
3oz Centennial (Continuous hop starting at 60mins)
3oz Simcoe (Continuous hop starting at 30mins)
1.5oz Citra (Add at 5mins)
Irish Moss
1.5oz Citra (Dry hop 7 days)
2pkg Safale American US-05

How's it looking?

I'd sub a pound of extract with a pound of corn sugar. You want an IIPA to finish dry and not too sweet, so the sugar will help get you there. I'd maybe cut the Crystal 40 down to a half pound also, again to help dry it out. I've never done a continuous hop schedule like that before so I can't really say much about it, but I like the hop choice so I'm sure it'll be good. Might want to bump the dry hop up a couple ounces too. Good Luck and enjoy!:mug:

If it is relatively high gravity, you can also add it when fermentation begins to peter out in primary. It encourages the yeast to eat more complex sugars first, then finish with the easy stuff. Sometimes if it is all in the brew at the same time, the yeast will selectively eat the simpler dextrose (corn sugar) before the more complex maltose.

If it is relatively high gravity, you can also add it when fermentation begins to peter out in primary. It encourages the yeast to eat more complex sugars first, then finish with the easy stuff. Sometimes if it is all in the brew at the same time, the yeast will selectively eat the simpler dextrose (corn sugar) before the more complex maltose.

The FG with out the extra sugar is coming it at 1.022. With the sugar its 1.020. Will the ABV be too high for an IIPA adding the sugar?

The FG with out the extra sugar is coming it at 1.022. With the sugar its 1.020. Will the ABV be too high for an IIPA adding the sugar?

It should come out quite a bit lower when you sub the sugar for the extract.

Did you substitute or add the sugar?

What do you mean by "continuous hop"?

I think you need more finishing hops.

It should come out quite a bit lower when you sub the sugar for the extract.

Did you substitute or add the sugar?

What do you mean by "continuous hop"?

I think you need more finishing hops.

I meant add the sugar in addition. And continuos hopping by adding a little bit of the 3oz of centennial and 3oz of simcoe every few minutes until flame out.

shortrc said:

According to BJCP style guidelines, ABV should be 7.5-10% and FG should be 1.010-1.020. Looks like you will be "to style."

That being said, if you like it, who cares about BJCP. The system is for judging beers in competition.

It is kind of nice to read the different points from the style guideline, though. One thing it mentions is to keep it relatively thin and dry without much malt character. IIPAs should "showcase hops" so I tend to agree with a previous poster who mentioned more finishing hops. Again, it's beer whether it is "to style" or not. If you like it you should make it your way. Good luck and. Happy brewing.

Back