German Alt with FG of 1.020????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhalko1969

Reaction score
High all, I have a German Alt that I think I have a PROBLEM WITH???
I brewed it 4/6 OG 1054
Racked to Secondary 4/14 SG 1020
Ichecked it today and it is still 1020
It is clearing nicly BUT I figured the Attenuation at 63% and it should be 73-77%
The Yeast is Wyeast 1007 and the fermantation temp was 55.

WHAT COULD BE WRONG?
I've not had this happen to me before.

Randy:tank:

Can you post the recipe that you used? That temp looks a little bit on the low side, you could try raising it by 5 degrees at a time and agitating the yeast.

The Recipe was: Steeped 1lbs Durst Medium Crystal
6lbs Munich Malt Syrup
1lbs Amber Dry Malt
1oz Spalt (60 min)
1oz Spalt (45 min)
1oz Spalt (30 min)
Boil volume was 2 Gal for 1 hr. after 45 min I added 1 Whirliflock tablet
Yeast is Wyeast #1007 Optimum Temp 55-66.

I hope this doesn't come across as too EAC, but why would rack to secondary if your FG wasn't at its terminal gravity? If you were expecting the yeast to work more and you transfer it from that yeast, it doesn't have a chance. You should stay in your primary until fermentation is complete, which I believe is a common misnomer a "secondary fermenter" has no fermentation involved, a "secondary fermentation" requires additional sugar be added.

I guess I was afraid of it sitting on the yeast sediment to long. It was in the the Primary for a little over a week and I thought fermantation would continue. Should it stay in the Primary as long as there is Fermantation, no matter how long it takes??

Well I guess I will have a little sweeter beer than I expected. At least I will KNOW BETTER next time, dumb me!

rhalko1969 said:
I guess I was afraid of it sitting on the yeast sediment to long. It was in the the Primary for a little over a week and I thought fermantation would continue. Should it stay in the Primary as long as there is Fermantation, no matter how long it takes??
1007 is one of my house yeasts. Its a heavy top cropper and loves to ferment cold, but the colder it is the longer the fermentation. Ive had to go many times 14 days in primary that cold and thats pitching a very large starter. You pulled the trigger to fast im afraid. I always suggest swirling in the later stages when using this yeast. I love it cold, it creats a nice crisp pop and really lets the malt and hops do their thing on the pallet. Unfortunatly, the sweet taste you will taste is the leftover unfermatables. Its a taste that doesnt agree w/me at all. Hope it works out for you...btw, how long ago did you rack to secondary?

Your mileage may vary mind you, but consider dryhopping with a little bit of saaz. I tried to do an all spalt alt and was less than satisfied with the results--ended up dryhoppnig in the keg and it improved.

I also agree you probably racked early and shocked the yeast.

rhalko1969 said:
The Recipe was: Steeped 1lbs Durst Medium Crystal
6lbs Munich Malt Syrup
1lbs Amber Dry Malt
1oz Spalt (60 min)
1oz Spalt (45 min)
1oz Spalt (30 min)
Boil volume was 2 Gal for 1 hr. after 45 min I added 1 Whirliflock tablet
Yeast is Wyeast #1007 Optimum Temp 55-66.

Was your 1lb of Amber DME Laaglander's by chance? My first batch used 3lbs of Coopers LME and 1lb of Amber DME. I used Laaglander's not knowing any better and the beer finished at 1.026 (it started at 1.052). Laaglander's is only about 50% fermentable compared to 75% with other extracts.

Back