First Sprouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guidry

Reaction score
With a couple of weeks of almost summer temps (mid 80's), I got curious and pushed the mulch aside to find a couple of nice thick sprouts pushing upward maybe an inch and a half. Seems I read somewhere that it was suggested that the "first sprouts should be cut back." What exactly does that mean and what should I do with my sprouts? These are second year plants in so. La.

Are they hop sprouts? Usually you cut back plants to give them more time to develop adequate root systems and to produce a more robust plant by way of not letting it flower/fruit since it spends more time growing vs. reproducing. That's how it is with peppers but I've heard other things go this way too.

Heh heh.....Guess I should have said so, yes, hops.....Magnums to be specific.

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

Yes, cut back the first few sprouts and then leave the next round of sprouts. You want to train about 3 of those next sprouts to your trellis and then cut back anything that follows.

Ok, when I cut back, do I cut back to soil level or push the soil away and cut down to the root?

Sent from my iPod touch using HB Talk

Back