sediment at bottom of bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJAX

Reaction score
So I am new at this and my first batch is in bottles right now and I just noticed a sediment at the bottom. My questions are, "Is this bad news, and should I shake them up?" My guess is that it is just the sugar and yeast at the bottom. The bottles are carbonating just fine and I don't believe they are contaminated because there isn't a ring around the top or anything. So is this bad? and would it be beneficial to shake up the bottles? Any advice is welcome and appreciated!
-AJAX

No! Leave them alone. When they are all carbed up, put a few in the fridge. When they are chilled, be careful in pouring and leave that yeast cake in the bottle. If you get good at this, you can pour all but the final 1/4" or so. Then, rinse out the bottle and get ready for the next batch!

That sediment is yeast that just carbonated your beer- it's a good thing!

As the wise woman Yooperbrew said, leave them alone. Sediment in bottles is good, very good.

:mug:Grow a hair and drink down that sediment, keeps hangovers away and is very high in vitamin B complex. It's actually very good for you.:mug:
I can't really taste it.:mug:

Ha!

I was going to say the same thing, Willy. I pour the beer off the sediment into a glass, and then swirl the remainder of the bottle and drink it. It's actually pretty damn tasty!

I just feel wrong sending all those wonderful yeast that do such a great job for me down the drain. At the very least I figure they should die off in my stomach, knowing just how happy I am at the job they've done..

If this is your first time drinking homebrew, you might want to wait a little while before drinking the sediment. It can do things to your lower GI tract. Even if it doesn't hurt you, it could hurt your loved ones and anyone else sharing the same air as you do. :D

If this is your first time drinking homebrew, you might want to wait a little while before drinking the sediment. It can do things to your lower GI tract. Even if it doesn't hurt you, it could hurt your loved ones and anyone else sharing the same air as you do. :D

You talk as if this is a bad thing...... cut one loose in a grocery store aisle where your SWMBO is and then get away a bout 2 to 3 aisles, it's funny as hell!:D

Back