Conditioning question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJMIKEUS

Reaction score
Im axious to drink my first batch...I bottled 8 days ago.......and figured let me try a bottle i had only 3/4 full at the end of my bottling day....had like a 1/4 inch of trub in it .
It had a slight "pop" when i opened it but still wat basically flat...

Has anyone tried to taste along the way......and will I see a better carbonation in the properly filled bottles.....

....will there be a dramatic difference in the next 2 weeks???

Thanks in advance!!!

Mike H

properly filled bottles will definitely be better carbonated... the CO2 fills the headspace first...then when the pressure builds up to a certain level, the CO2 starts "overflowing" from the headspace into the beer, causing carbonation. too much headspace makes it hard for there to be enough CO2 (especially in a short period of time) to overflow into the beer.

SJMIKEUS said:
a bottle i had only 3/4 full at the end of my bottling day....had like a 1/4 inch of trub in it .

I call those my "dregs" bottles (even made a dead fish label for them). They always taste off but handy for opening something when you just can't wait.

The 3 week in bottle wait is worth it for the final product...put hey, you've just got to do that quality control each week before then!

Lou said:
properly filled bottles will definitely be better carbonated... the CO2 fills the headspace first...then when the pressure builds up to a certain level, the CO2 starts "overflowing" from the headspace into the beer, causing carbonation. too much headspace makes it hard for there to be enough CO2 (especially in a short period of time) to overflow into the beer.

Don't want to be picky here, but the CO2 doesn't overflow from the head space. It simply doesn't go out of solution if the ambient pressure (pressure in the head space) is to high. There are charts that tell you what pressure of CO2 is necessary to keep a certain amount of CO2 in solution. If the CO2 level in the beer rises, some of it will go out of solution and increase the pressure in the head space untill equlibrium is reached.

Actualy CO2 constantly goes out of solution and back into solution. If both flows are the same equlibrium is reached.

Kai

I've yet to have a bottle of home brew be properly carbonated until at least 3 weeks but I agree with what has been said. I always drink a test bottle every week. :D

Kaiser said:
Don't want to be picky here, but the CO2 doesn't overflow from the head space. It simply doesn't go out of solution if the ambient pressure (pressure in the head space) is to high. There are charts that tell you what pressure of CO2 is necessary to keep a certain amount of CO2 in solution. If the CO2 level in the beer rises, some of it will go out of solution and increase the pressure in the head space untill equlibrium is reached.

Actualy CO2 constantly goes out of solution and back into solution. If both flows are the same equlibrium is reached.

Kai
agreed... i misspoke...
thanks for the correction:mug:

Latest posts

Back