need help fast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big_Chin

Reaction score
I started a batch right over a month ago and 2 days after I'd started I was sent out on business. I've just returned and wanted to bottle it now, but didn't know if it would still be good. My buddy said to just skip moving it from my primary to the carboy and go straight to bottling. I decided to roll with it and see how it turns out, but I'm not sure how much sugar to put into it before I bottle. the kit came with a pack, do I just dump it all in my bottling bucket? also, there was a ton of sediment in the primary.

thanks!

one last thing, there was a ton of sediment in it, is this normal or did my brew go to waste while I was gone.

1. Your brew is fine. Sediment is normal, and some batches, depending on a number of factors, can have more trub than others.
  2. You typically need 3/4 cup of Corn Sugar (dextrose) or 1-1/4 cups of dried malt extract for priming at bottling time. I can't say whether the packet you have is enough or too much, because I don't know what's in it or how much of it there is. Do you have any more info on it? Does it have anything written on the package? Where did you get the kit?

it's a 5oz package of Priming Sugar from Midwest Brewing Co. It came with my Bass clone kit.

there aren't any directions with it either. I'm tempted to just dump the entire package in and see what happens nd then let it sit in the bottle for a month or two to let the sugars work their magic.

No! don't do that. You'll have half your beers undercarbonated, and half overcarbonated and maybe some bottle bombs.

You boil 2 cups of water on the stove, and add the priming sugar. Boil that until it's dissolved, stirring well. Then, cool it, and add to your bottling bucket. Rack your beer from the fermenter into the bottling bucket, with the tubing on the bottom of the receiving vessel, so it "swirls" into the bucket without splashing, but stirs itself well. Then bottle.

Here's some info with pictures: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter1-3.html

Since you only have 4 gallons, you could add a bit less (like 4 ounces), and that would be fine.

Since you already have it in the bottling bucket, boil it up like I described, then cool it and add it. But stir it very gently with a sanitized long handled spoon, or your sanitized racking cane. You don't want to aerate the beer at this point, but you must have it mixed thoroughly.

Next time, do the priming solution first, and then rack the beer into it. It mixes better.

Back