Live near Seattle? Wanna make $4K???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You get $4000! :)

The $4000 comes with malaria. :(

But the malaria comes with your choice of toppings! :)

The toppings contain potassium benzoate. :(

I was in until I saw who was conducting the research. ;)

The head of the program, Dr. Patrick Duffy, said volunteers will spend several nights under medical supervision in a hotel.

Bobby_ewing_dallas.jpg

It blows my mind that people would actually subject themselves to doing this. Yet on the same note I commend those that would actually do this to help find a vaccine that actually works. :confused:

I used to sit on an institutional review board that looked at all kinds of cases involving human subjects, let me just say getting people is very hard especially for something like this... that is why they pay 4k. Most of the studies we had run by us were compensating much less for lab time, but people are flat out unwilling to even make the trip to a lab for less than 50 bucks and free parking.

I would do it, but then again I plan on spending quite a bit of time in africa, thus getting malaria for free.

I had a prof. that got it, and after seeing what she went through I want nothing to do with it if possible.

Medical supervision in a hotel? So they're going to infect you with a potentially fatal virus and keep an eye on you in the Holiday Inn? Is this guy going to cut taxes and increase spending too?

Id sign a little agreement that the malaria would be infact cured and there would be no ill effects whatsoever and cash my check. Then if there was a problem I could sue. Im sure they make you sign something quite the opposite of this though.

Donasay said:
I used to sit on an institutional review board that looked at all kinds of cases involving human subjects, let me just say getting people is very hard especially for something like this... that is why they pay 4k. Most of the studies we had run by us were compensating much less for lab time, but people are flat out unwilling to even make the trip to a lab for less than 50 bucks and free parking.

Getting people isn't hard... it's just hard getting them for cheap. I lived in downtown Chicago. If you've got to spend a half day visiting some lab and the first lot you see charges $30 to park, well yeah... That's a half day out of your life and parking. That's what it costs.

I don't think that's unreasonable as a base amount... There is a certain humility aspect. Who the hell wants to even admit they'll subject themselves to anything whatsoever for a mere twenty bucks?

It's good to see the human spirit is alive and well. :)

SEATTLE - The Seattle Biomedical Research Institute will pay volunteers as much as $4,000 to be bitten by mosquitoes infected with malaria.

Scientists say no lives are in danger because the volunteers can be cured. The institute is testing which vaccines work fastest.

The head of the program, Dr. Patrick Duffy, said volunteers will spend several nights under medical supervision in a hotel.

no lives are in danger eh? what about the cleaning maid of the holiday inn?

Back