Legacy Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my ipa is currently sitting in a dry hop of 2 oz of cascade and 2 oz of legacy. sorry in advance for the large photos, thats how they upload from my ipod.

IMG_0251[1].jpg

Just sampled my wheat pale dry hopped w/2oz each of Cascade and Legacy. 3 weeks in the bottle. It's not great, mediocre at best.

I used Kölsch yeast, so I'm optimistic that it will improve with some conditioning. But the hop character I get isn't all that memorable to me.

Yeah for me the hops in the IPA just created a really strange taste. The aroma almost smelled of pineapple but the flavor was just off. I definitely enjoyed Legacy more in my honey wheat with the dryhop

Giving this hop another go with a simple pale ale:

9 lbs Pale Ale
1 lb Munich
0.25 lb Honey Malt

1 oz Legacy 60min
1 oz Legacy 10min
1 oz Legacy 0 min (once chilled to 150°F)
1 oz Legacy dry

1.056 down to 1.014 thus far with S-04. Sample tasted nice, the subtle citrus/berry works well with the honey malt.

That does look good. I agree that the berry and the honey works well together. As far as other recipes go though, I'm not sure what I would use it for besides simple pale ales and maybe american wheats. Definitely did not care for it in my ipa but that might have been my own undoing. To my taste buds the berry comes through in a dominating form.

brewed a legacy/vienna smash-like APA recipe this weekend (recipe in my signature, in case you care). i will report back in 4-5 weeks once it's ready to drink. i also used legacy in a belgian dark strong but i don't expect it to cut through much given how many other flavors are going on in there.

Just brewed a hopped up Belgian pale with all legacy. 1oz 60min, .5oz 20min, and 2.5 oz at flame out.. I'm also going to dry hop with as much as I can fit in the keg (using leaf hops) still have another couple weeks in the primary before kegging.

Giving this hop another go with a simple pale ale:

9 lbs Pale Ale
1 lb Munich
0.25 lb Honey Malt

1 oz Legacy 60min
1 oz Legacy 10min
1 oz Legacy 0 min (once chilled to 150°F)
1 oz Legacy dry

1.056 down to 1.014 thus far with S-04. Sample tasted nice, the subtle citrus/berry works well with the honey malt.

I'm not digging the legacy. Had a few of the recipe above, and it just doesn't do much for me. But that could be the S-04 talking.

Yeah I'm not sure about it either. Definitely interesting but something about it isn't for me.

How do Legacy compare with Bramling Cross? They both seem to have that blackcurrant, spicy flavor description. I was thinking of getting a pound of Legacy for use in some English ales, but it sounds like some people aren't too thrilled about this hop.

I thought I would enjoy the blackcurrant flavor that this hop has, but it just wasn't for me. I felt like it accentuated the residual sweet flavor of some beers. Could be that it is great for certain styles but I haven't tried them yet.

I used some legacy to bitter my imperial IPA ...turned out nice ...I did use 6 other hops so not sure how much came from the legacy but it worked well as a bittering

I used some legacy to bitter my imperial IPA ...turned out nice ...I did use 6 other hops so not sure how much came from the legacy but it worked well as a bittering
if you used legacy for bittering only, and then layered on 5 other late-addition hops, i wouldn't expect anything of the legacy to have come through.

sounds like a tasty IIPA, tho :mug:

The thread has gone stale. But I have some input.

Belgian Blonde 1.063- 1.011 - WLP 575- Great Compliment with the spiciness/currantiness (?)
Single Hop Pale- 1.052-1.009 -Safale005- Cant tell if the yeast threw some flavors or the hops are that spicy/fruity/belgiany (?)

Interesting.

my legacy/vienna smash'ish was quite good but not spectacular. didn't detect any current, just some spice. it was a very drinkable beer.

i used Legacy to bitter a dubbel (http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/148944/dubbel-down). it's got so much going on in terms of malt and yeast flavors - LOVE me that 3864 canadian-belgian - that i can't detect any contributions from the legacy. not too surprising.

i don't know if i'll get around to brewing another beer that prominently features this hop. i have about 10 pounds of various hops, including experimentals, that are ahead of legacy on my to-be-brewed list. that vienna smash didn't wow me enough to want to re-brew it right away. i suspect that i'll slowly end up using up the legacy in belgians before i get around to brewing another pale ale with it... but who knows. once i get my brew stand completed maybe i'll be brewing more often :mug:

I bought a pound of Legacy in January from HopsDirect. Mine is much higher AA than what was listed at the beginning of this thread. And they smell amazing. A lot of fruity flavors. A little citrus, berry, currant, a little apple. No one thing dominates. It is like a bushel of fruit all blended together.

I used it in the dry hop of an over-hopped pale ale. It was combined with Simcoe, Cascade, and Calypso, so I'm not sure what flavor came just from the Legacy. But nothing bad came through in the flavor or aroma.

I just used it in an amber ale this weekend. Based on smelling the hops again before adding them to the boil, I think they are going to be awesome. Of course, this is another beer where they won't be the complete the focus, because I also added Guajillo and Ancho peppers.

Anyway, I don't know if this hop has improved in quality since it was introduced or if I just happen to like the aspects that other people didn't like, but I haven't noticed anything amiss with it.

Has anybody else used the newest harvest of this hop?

Back