Drilling A Bayou Classic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
Anyone ever drill a 36 quart Bayou Classic stainless steel stock pot. Just bought one yesterday and would like to have it drilled so that I can then use a plate chopper.

On a side note, anyone ever use the 10 plate plate chilled that KegCowboy sells? How well does it work cooling 5 gallons of wort?

I have the 62 qt. version of that pot, and I used a step bit to drill a hole for the valve. It was quick and easy - just remember to use a little lubricating oil.

Good to hear. My dad is a tool and die maker so I'm hoping that he may have the tools and knowledge to do it.

I did the same thing as Mike up there. Definitely use some kind of lubricant. WD-40 works well, vasaline is better cause it'll hold the shavings. To make things easier you're going to want a center punch to mark the center of the hole. It also helps set the bit when drilling. You'll also want some kind of sandpaper or a rough file to clean up the edges. A stepped bit can be found at most hardware stores, if you have a HarborFreight near you can pick one up for <$10.

I haven't used a plate chiller, still using my homemade immersion chiller. The only downside I've heard of is you have to make sure you flush everything out of the chiller before storing. Both plate and immersion chillers take about the same time I think too, unless you have a grossly oversized one.

Back