Idiot trying to identify two beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goingforsound

Reaction score
Hi,

Two weeks ago I made two stout in the same week.

At that time I did not identify the two carboys, because I ''knew'' wich is wich beer...

Now that I realised that my memory is defective I need to know wich carboy contains wich beer because I need to reuse the yeast for another batch.

One fermented on US05 and the other one was fermenting with White lab Irish Ale.

Can you identify them?

Thank you...

Heres the first one....

IMG_1579.jpg

IMG_1581.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

The 2nd:

IMG_1582.jpg

IMG_1584.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

I is two different recipe and this is the first time I did them too...

And at a this point in my brewing experience, I dont think I can identify the taste of a particular yeast in two different recipe.

Here's a test: US05 is a terrible flocculator, while Irish Ale is a little better. Give each carboy a good shove to stir up the yeast (try not to do anything that will oxygenate the beer). The US05 should kick up more yeast than the Irish, in a more dispersed cloud. It should also take longer to settle back down.

Yes, US-05 is quite powdery, whereas WLP004 is a medium flocculator. Could stick a sanitized racking cane down there and see which one is powdery vs more chunky/compacted.

Which recipe had coriander? One carboy looks to have coriander balls floating in it, maybe that will give you the answer? Good luck!

:mug:

Back