American IPA Anonymous IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ended up not doing this as a partial mash... Got my water on for my first ever BIAB all-grain attempt ;)

Worst... Brewday... Evar...

Well, not really, but it felt like it at times. First time doing a BIAB all-grain, and that process went pretty well. 7.5 gallons of water, 11 pounds of grain. My temporary voile curtain "bag" worked pretty well, but I've no clue how well I did at keeping grain from clumping etc. At the end of the day, my OG was 1.052, likely a little lower than it should be, but I can live with it.

Everything was going okay until midway through the 60 minute boil.. Ran out of propane & no spare. Quick dash to Home Depot, but man, it put me back 25 minutes. No idea what it's going to do to my IBUs - the sample for my OG was dang bitter...

The airlock's bubbling away already, a few hours later, so I'll have beer of some sort ;)

Just let it sit a bit longer in primary and in the bottle before you worry too much about drinking it. It will probably be fine!

Kegging this tonight... Keen to taste some samples just to see how it's turned out after my awful first all-grain brewday with it.

[added]
Sample tastes pretty good! Basic nice crisp hoppy taste to it without being overpowering and not overly bitter (which is what I was afraid of). Will get kegged once the kids are in bed.

Just finished 2 kegs of this, spot on hey great nose on it and everyone who's tasted it can't believe I actually made it lol definitely a session beer I'll be doing again.
Cheers mate.

Extract recipe???

5 lb. light DME
Steep the Vienna, Cara-Pils, and Crystal, 20-25ish minutes around 160.

I'm generally bad at converting these but this is an easy one. Vienna is usually mashed, so I'm not sure if you'll get much from it.

If anyone wants to look this over, no problems with that here.

/Late to the Party...

Just attempted this guy and I absolutely love it. I ended up with a lower OG (1.052) but it settled out nicely to around 5.5 ABV. Thanks for the recipe; I found it great for a beginner like me, and not too far on the hoppy side, as some IPA's tend to venture. Amarillo and Cascade made a great duo. Have you made any modifications to it since your post?

I noticed after I took a picture of it to post online that you happened to use the same glass, but here she is:
lkkOD.jpg

/Late to the Party...

Just attempted this guy and I absolutely love it. I ended up with a lower OG (1.052) but it settled out nicely to around 5.5 ABV. Thanks for the recipe; I found it great for a beginner like me, and not too far on the hoppy side, as some IPA's tend to venture. Amarillo and Cascade made a great duo. Have you made any modifications to it since your post?

I noticed after I took a picture of it to post online that you happened to use the same glass, but here she is:
lkkOD.jpg

Glad you enjoyed it! I haven't made any modification to the original recipe, but I use a similar combination of malt ingredients for most of my original recipe IPAs. I will generally add another pound of 2-row for most IPAs, but like this combo for a lower-gravity brew. As for the hop schedule, I use whatever I have. Last go was Magnum for bittering and then insane amounts of Cascade for everything else.

Thanks for the comment!

Brewed this today but scaled it to a 2.5gal batch. I also had a lower OG coming in at 1.052. The color looks a little off right now, more yellow than orange-ish, hopefully it will come around. The sample tasted pretty good.

The homebrew store didn't have whole Amarillo hops and the guy there talked me out of dry hopping in the keg. I'm just going to dry hop in the carboy with pellets and maybe cold crash it to help with clarity.

Will let you know how it turns out.

Ignore your LHBS guy. My guess is he assumed you would put the hops in the keg loosely, rather than contained. If you're going to keg the beer, you want as much fresh aroma as you can. Use a nylon hop bag, and loosely tie it to the dip tube of your keg - this will prevent it from clogging your pickup, especially if you are using pellet hops. I usually dry hop with leaf hops in the keg, but both will work if you use a hop bag.

Keep me posted!

Alright, you talked my BACK into dry hopping in the keg. Now my problem is I can't find Amarillo leaf hops anywhere. LHBS doesn't have them, can't seem to find them online anywhere.

Anyone know where some can be purchased?

Try Motherearfhbrewco.com they are out of vista ca. and they always have what I'm looking for.

You could sub Cascade or something similarly citrusy for the dry hop.

Since I can't get any Amarillo leaf hops I came up with this solution, I will dry hop in the secondary with Amarillo pellets and then dry hop in the keg with Cascade leaf hops. Do you think that will work? Is it worth the extra step of a secondary just to get that Amarillo goodness in there?

This is my first attempt at dry hopping so I hope I am not overlooking something with this idea that could be disastrous.

Thanks.

I brew for a second time this nice recipe today. The first one with my new mashtun! The color was better then the first time, can't wait to tast this beauty! Thanks fos the recipe!

Ps: sorry for my english, i'm a french-canadian!
Ps2: the name is perfect!

I brew for a second time this nice recipe today. The first one with my new mashtun! The color was better then the first time, can't wait to tast this beauty! Thanks fos the recipe!

Ps: sorry for my english, i'm a french-canadian!
Ps2: the name is perfect!

Thanks for using my recipe to break in your new mash tun! I think I am planning on brewing this one again soon once I can get a hold of the hops!

Think I'll have to try this. We are going for our first AG brew, want to do an IPA having done two extracts before.
Doesnt sound too complicated. Just hav to get the ingredients now!

Great recipe! Left to dry hop for 2 weeks. Kegged it and poured my first draft today. Man o man what a great IPA. Crisp and great hoppy aroma, but not overpowering. I got 1.055 OG / 1.004 FG. This one is being brewed again and will probably be on my keg for a while.

Back