Countertop Brutus 20

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkarp

Reaction score
SWMBO caught me setting up to brew an Amarillo IPA tonight. Realized I hadn't posted any pics of my rig running. Kettle is 6 gal, 120V 2KW, bucket on bottom contains pump and counterflow chiller, and MLT on top, of course. Control box has PID and switches for kettle and pump.

beer58.jpg

I'm interested in knowing more about your system. It appears you are using a 5 gallon mash tun? From what I've read about the Brutus 20, it has extraction efficiency issues... do you keep all your beers below 1.055 or have you found a way to solve this?

I'm interested in knowing more about your system. It appears you are using a 5 gallon mash tun? From what I've read about the Brutus 20, it has extraction efficiency issues... do you keep all your beers below 1.055 or have you found a way to solve this?

There's nothing to solve really. The Brutus 20 efficiency issues are over-hyped. I've done 1.100 beers and still gotten 75%. This is consistent with Lonnie's (the father of Brutus) results too. Yes, it's a 5 gal tun. System is set up for 4 gallon batches max. I normally do 3.5 gal runs.

Man that is a cool looking setup. Forgive me if it is somewhere else, but have you posted build specs on that setup?

That is awesome!!!! Could you please do a more detailed write up of components, cost and the whole shebang! I linked to this from my portable brewery thread because I think this is wicked awesome. :mug:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/please-vote-quest-ultimate-portable-brewery-127359/

:EDIT: I put together my version of this system in that thread. Mine is a bit over-the-top with the stainless and whatnot but you can check it out.

That's a GREAT countertop system. Kudos!!

I tried the B20 method before, and my efficiency was only a little lower than normal. I don't get great efficiency with a double batch sparge, so it wouldn't really make much difference to me. I was in the middle of building a single-tier system then, so I just stuck with the 3 keg setup. I think the 2 vessel method is definately valid and saves some space, as you have effectively shown.

That is awesome!!!! Could you please do a more detailed write up of components, cost and the whole shebang! I linked to this from my portable brewery thread because I think this is wicked awesome. :mug:

Thanks! I've toyed around with pulling a Pol and writing it up for BYO. Maybe you guys can motivate me. :)

Here's what's arguably the most clever (and space-saving) bit. Chiller and pump all in one package:

beer56.jpg

Thanks! I've toyed around with pulling a Pol and writing it up for BYO. Maybe you guys can motivate me. :)

Here's what's arguably the most clever (and space-saving) bit. Chiller and pump all in one package:

beer56.jpg

FWIW, the BYO thing had absolutely no detail. My build threads here on HBT on the other hand have copious amounts of build detials, parts lists, suppliers and pricing. I wouldnt go to BYO to detail a build.

Write it up for us! It looks perfect for all of those in apartments or small spaces. What was the build cost? Inquiring minds want to know.....

Write it up for us! It looks perfect for all of those in apartments or small spaces. What was the build cost? Inquiring minds want to know.....

Didn't realize there'd be so much interest in a little system! Give me a few days to round up my BOM and I'll start a new thread in DIY. I built it piecemeal last fall / winter so I've never worked up the grand total, but I'd guess I've got around $400 in it.

Wow, I have $400 invested in my brewpots alone. I would love to build this for my sister who is moving into a small apartment and wants to get into brewing but can't because of space.

+1 on the write up. I could use something like that in my apt for small batches/test batches... people say brewing small batches is not worth it, but I always want to brew when I'm bored and something like this that I could leave set up is awesome...

Coderage came up with this image:

2-vessel_brewing.png

I also made a bunch of schematics detailing the step with the system I designed at the end of the link posted above. A search of "brutus 20" will yield a number of threads about the system and its capabilities.

2-vessel_brewing.png

I also made a bunch of schematics detailing the step with the system I designed at the end of the link posted above. A search of "brutus 20" will yield a number of threads about the system and its capabilities.

I think JK put a twist on this one with a separate CFC in a bucket, which is very interesting to me.

Right, but I think the basic concept is the same. Sorry if you already knew about the 20 concept, a bunch of people don't so I figured I would post it.

I am eagerly awaiting a detailed description too!! :mug:

Ok, that makes sense. It's different than what archive.org has of Lonnie's original page, which had the MLT direct fired. I didn't understand how jkarp managed to do that with a cooler and electricity.

So I guess he's not doing a temperature controlled mash, right?

I don't have the purty graphics, but the system isn't too difficult to describe. Plumbing stays static as pictured up until the chill. Kettle-out to CFC-in, CFC-out to top of MLT, MLT-out to top of kettle.

1. Fill kettle and set PID to strike temp + 2 deg (accounts for CFC loss).
2. Begin full system recirc as strike temp approaches to pre-heat MLT.
3. Once strike temp reached, close MLT-out and fill to desired mash infusion volume.
4. Pump off, dough in.
5. Fill kettle with water to meet desired pre-boil volume, taking into account MLT volume, of course. Set PID to 170.
6. At mash end, begin recirculation by starting flow from MLT-out. Regulate CFC-out to reach equilibrium with MLT outflow. This normally takes a couple minutes of fiddling and a re-check every 10 or so minutes during the recirc. I've got a sight glass on the kettle to monitor this.
7. I recirculate for 30 minutes or until the full system recovers to 170, whichever takes longer.
8. Pump off, all valves wide open to allow wort to fall back to kettle.
9. PID kicked to manual mode, 100% for boil.
10. MLT gets disassembled and cleaned, coolant lines get hooked up to sink.
11. At boil end, Kettle element gets shut off, kettle lid goes back on, and CFC-out is plumbed to kettle top.
12. Pump on, coolant water on 10 min later after CFC is heat-sterilized.
13. After wort is chilled, I shut off the pump and momentarily raise the CFC bucket above kettle level to allow wort to flow back to kettle. Close kettle-out valve and it's now ready to dump to fermenter.
14. All clean-up from here. I rinse out the kettle and restore to a chill config so I can recirculate hot oxy solution through the kettle and CFC for 10 minutes. Dump and repeat with rinse water and I'm done.

Hopefully that helps you guys make sense of this contraption. I've done 20 or so brews through this rig this year and have been extremely happy with it.

I don't have the purty graphics, but the system isn't too difficult to describe. Plumbing stays static as pictured up until the chill. Kettle-out to CFC-in, CFC-out to top of MLT, MLT-out to top of kettle.

Thanks! I didn't realize that you were using the cfc for both a hot and cold heat exchanger. Very cool.

Looking good man!

Right, but I think the basic concept is the same. Sorry if you already knew about the 20 concept, a bunch of people don't so I figured I would post it.

I am eagerly awaiting a detailed description too!! :mug:

That was in my Brutus 20e thread but I cant take credit for the picture. I went the RIMS route instead. Which still isn't done.....:drunk:

Thanks! I didn't realize that you were using the cfc for both a hot and cold heat exchanger. Very cool.
I don't think he is. I think he's just got an element in the HLT/BK. In that he heats his strike water first, sparge water 2nd, and continues to heat during mashout/MLT drain, up to and throughout the boil. The CFC just stays hooked up because of his integration w/ the pump. It doesn't really serve any purpose until it's time to chill, at which time he hooks up the cold water.

I don't think he is. I think he's just got an element in the HLT/BK. In that he heats his strike water first, sparge water 2nd, and continues to heat during mashout/MLT drain, up to and throughout the boil. The CFC just stays hooked up because of his integration w/ the pump. It doesn't really serve any purpose until it's time to chill, at which time he hooks up the cold water.

Exactly right. The logic behind this was twofold - one, integrating the pump with the CFC saves a lot of space, plus gives me an elevated platform so I can rely on gravity for the return to the kettle, unlike the original Brutus 20 that required a 2nd pump. Two, being indoors, I wanted to keep plumbing changes to an absolute minimum as hoses, even with quick-disconnects, inevitably drip. This setup only requires one hose change - moving the CFC-out to the kettle top for chilling recirc.

I'm not sure where I got that idea from. It would probably work, but you'd need two pumps to make it work.

With a 120V 2000W heating element, how long does it take to come up to a boil? What is your usual pre-boil volume, 5 gallons?

Awesome system..... you have my wheels spinning.

Pol's got it. Since the system is always at 170 when I kick the PID to manual mode for the boil, time is actually a little less. I think Pol and I both found that a 5 gal boil is about the max for 120V with a single element. Proceed with caution if you're considering to scale this setup to 5 gal batches where you'll be wanting 6-7 gal pre-boil. A 240V kettle like Pols would be much more appropriate.

FWIW, I can boil 7.5-8 gallons from sparge temp. in 13 minutes with 5500W, then dial it back to 70% for the remainder of the boil. If scaling up, like J said... 240VAC is necessary as you will need a solid 3500W or so to get a nice boil at 7.5 gallons or so.

Pol's got it. Since the system is always at 170 when I kick the PID to manual mode for the boil, time is actually a little less. I think Pol and I both found that a 5 gal boil is about the max for 120V with a single element. Proceed with caution if you're considering to scale this setup to 5 gal batches where you'll be wanting 6-7 gal pre-boil. A 240V kettle like Pols would be much more appropriate.

Thanks guys. I actually only do 2.75gal batches. I'm the only beer drinker in the house and I like to brew and have variety. This is why this system is so appealing to me. Looking forward to reading the build thread!

Na, FireRock for me, Steep Trail w/Jagged Edge in 24 pack from Costco is always in the outside frig for the general party company. The good biers on tap for those that appreciate a bier not general bier..
What island you on BrewBeemer where you can get beers from Concord California at your Costco, Bethel Island?

What island you on BrewBeemer where you can get beers from Concord California at your Costco, Bethel Island?

Your locations would take many days paddling an outrigger unless the westerly winds
were in my favor.
I'm still working on that keg of rum that washed ashore on the island.
Rum in the winter sounds mighty good on the beach watching the sunsets letting all worries pass.
Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink.
Careful, I have lehr on the run going crazy looking for where my island home's located.
One friend just sold a 60' tall palm tree for $15K, it was transplanted 1 1/2 miles away on the island.

Back