Brewing Now...Opinions Wanted...Midnight Oil Honey Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My first original recipe - worked in the garage all day, didn't get to brewing until after dark, hence the name. I'm debating adding a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and perhaps a crushed clove or two. I'm trying for an English Brown style (10C). Here's the recipe...let me know if you think the spices will add to it:

4 lbs Amber DME
1/2 lb Chocolate Malt
2 oz Black Patent
1/2 lb Crystal Malt (10L) (Leftover...threw it in)
A few oz Wheat - (mixed in with the leftover crystal at about 10%)
1 oz Challenger Hops (60 mins)
1 oz Kent Goldings (flameout - 10 mins)
1/2 tsp Irish Moss (15 mins)
2 lbs Pure Honey (using some Desert Blossom and Orange Blossom I picked up locally)
WLP002 English Ale Yeast (White Labs - 3 cup starter, nice and active)

Steeped grains for 40 mins in 2 gallons of water at 155 degrees
Sparged with 3 gallons at 170 degrees
Topped off to 6 gallons
60 minute boil

Any and all opinions appreciated!

Measured OG: 1.053
Measured FG: 1.010

EDIT: This is more of a porter. Turned out quite nice!

Ok...too late (like I was really going to get a huge response this late at night). I chose the more "pure" route and skipped the spice additions. I'd still love to hear what you think of the recipe and whether or not you think the spices would help. Cheers! :mug:

I just brewed up a belgian strong ale tonite. I was wavering between added some spices or not, and I ended up with an oz. or so of ginger and a tsp of star anise. I am hoping that I will be patient enough to let this one sit until winter. It is starting off at 1.083. Should warm the cockles on a december night.

Sounds good. I'm going to be using the 002 English Ale yeast really soon. Post your OG and FG when you get it. White labs says the yeast gets up to 70% attenuation, leaving some residual sweetness. I've made a pretty good starter for mine, so I'm hoping to get on the high end for attenuation. It would just be nice to compare.

Sounds interesting. I'd be interested in hearing how it turns out especially with two pounds of honey in it.

3 cup starter eh? Sounds like the stir plate did its job. Congrats!

How much lag time?

The honey will ferment out leaving very little flavor behind & thin out the malt. If you want honey flavor, honey malt is the way to go.

Quite happy so far with this one. OG was 1.053 (predicted was 1.050, but the honey came in 9 oz jars and I used four of them, giving me an extra 4 oz honey). The lag time was quite impressive! First bubbles from the overflow tube at 45 minutes, although I'm tempted to say 15 minutes when I barely nudged the fermenter and a few bubbles escaped.

Yuri_Rage said:
QThe lag time was quite impressive! First bubbles from the overflow tube at 45 minutes, although I'm tempted to say 15 minutes when I barely nudged the fermenter and a few bubbles escaped.

WADAGO Oh Stir Plate Fabricator!!! Sounds like it really does the job.

How are they coming? I hope I'm on the list.:mug:

EdWort said:
How are they coming? I hope I'm on the list.:mug:
Ed - about to hit the garage to start making some today, in fact. Had a few projects over the past week that kept me away from the stirplate business. Perhaps by the end of the day I'll have a few ready!

Yuri_Rage said:
Had a few projects over the past week that kept me away from the stirplate business.

Yep, I know the situation. I've been meaning to get my lager freezer off my back deck and into the garage. It's a must do before the weekend for me. Thanks!

Gravity is down to 1.012 already! Temps have been around 73 degrees, and the starter was nice and healthy, so the fermentation really took off. The flavor is quite nice - there is a pronounced roasted flavor from the chocolate malt and black patent, but the remaining honey flavor balances it alright. I expect the flavor to mellow with age, but I might use a bit less black patent next time.

The Happy Mug said:
with the spices and increased fermentables, I bet you could make a great Christmas ale.
I hadn't thought of this as a holiday brew, but I think you're right! I'd probably add some spruce tips (or extract) as well for that. Thanks for the idea!

Back