Need help deciding if I am at FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creole_hops

Reaction score
I know, I know...75%, wait 3 days, yada yada yada.
However I deliberately altered my gravity after taking my SG so now im confused.

Basically I took an SG of 1.050. After 3 days I noticed that I did not see as much action as I anticipated. I discovered that the rubber stopper around the airlock was a little loose and was letting the CO2 out of it instead of the airlock. Out of desperation and panic I corrected the issue and also added 4oz of maple syrup ( im making a 2 gall batch) to add more fermentables.

After 8 days in the primary, I have a gravity reading of 1.012. Under normal circumstances, I would leave it there for another 5 days to make sure she holds steady but I would really like to serve this Sierra Nevada clone at a dinner party in 17 days. I plan on moving to a secondary to clarify for 3 days and dry hopping. Which leave exactly 2 weeks for bottle carbonation.

I quess my question is should I get those hopes of serving in 17 days out of my mind or is it ok to move to the secondary now? I am not sure what effect the Maple syrup had on the FG.

Thanks as always

I know, I know...75%, wait 3 days, yada yada yada.
However I deliberately altered my gravity after taking my SG so now im confused.

Basically I took an SG of 1.050. After 3 days I noticed that I did not see as much action as I anticipated. I discovered that the rubber stopper around the airlock was a little loose and was letting the CO2 out of it instead of the airlock. Out of desperation and panic I corrected the issue and also added 4oz of maple syrup ( im making a 2 gall batch) to add more fermentables.

After 8 days in the primary, I have a gravity reading of 1.012. Under normal circumstances, I would leave it there for another 5 days to make sure she holds steady but I would really like to serve this Sierra Nevada clone at a dinner party in 17 days. I plan on moving to a secondary to clarify for 3 days and dry hopping. Which leave exactly 2 weeks for bottle carbonation.

I quess my question is should I get those hopes of serving in 17 days out of my mind or is it ok to move to the secondary now? I am not sure what effect the Maple syrup had on the FG.

Thanks as always

firstly there is no gaurentee that the beer will be carbed, let alone conditioned in 17 days...when we say 3 days at 70 that is usually a minimum for normal grav beers...and carbed isn't necessarily the same as conditioned...they could be nice and fizzy, and still taste like a$$ for a couple more weeks..

Next if you don't wait three days, yadda yadda yadda, and you bottle too soon, you could be having bottle bombs....bottles going boom= wasted beer..

Get the 17 days out of your mind...Go buy some snpa for your upcoming party, and give your beer some time...

If you are serving green beer to people who have never tasted homebrew then they won't understand..they will think that EITHER you suck as a brewer, ALL HOMEBREW SUCKS (and you'll prolly go blind anyway) or those BMC commercials were right, anything other than fizzy yellow beer, especially homebrew taste like a$$, and we should stick to bud light...

Serioulsy, do yourself a favor, swallow the dissapointment of your beer not being ready, buy some beer you know is done...and give your beer the time it needs.

:mug:

Preach it, brutha! Testify!

Or, as an acquaintance of mine who attended such congregations as a lad once shouted to general hilarity, "Church!"

:D

As usual, Creole, Revvy is bang on the money. Nurture your beer.

Bob

Back