Wort is 56 degrees. When should I pitch yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean187

Reaction score
I just finished brewing a Porter Extract Kit, cooled my wert a little too much I think down to 56 degrees. What temp should I pitch my yeast? :rockin:

I just finished brewing a Porter Extract Kit, cooled my wert a little too much I think down to 56 degrees. What temp should I pitch my yeast? :rockin:

What kind of yeast, and what's the temperature of the yeast? You want to pitch at fermentation temperatures, and you want the yeast and the wort at close temperatures to avoid shocking the yeast.

Dry yeast? Pitch it and let the fermenter warm up gradually to the mid-sixties.

Liquid yeast? I would try to equalize the temp. of the wort and yeast before pitching.

It's dry yeast. It's in the package still at room temp at 72 degrees. Should I pitch it, or wait? If I wait how long and what temp should I wait for my wert to warm up to?

It's dry yeast. It's in the package still at room temp at 72 degrees. Should I pitch it, or wait? If I wait how long and what temp should I wait for my wert to warm up to?

You're not rehydrating the dry yeast?

If you decide to rehydrate the yeast according to the package directions, you can gradually add a bit of the wort to it to equalize the temperature and then pour that all into the primary.

65 would be my target.

*edit* - I wouldn't worry too much about dry yeast. They can afford to be roughed up a little. I still say 65, maybe 68

Back