Instructions for Full Grain Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3MindsBeer

Reaction score
Hey all! In recent and current I have been doing the extract gig, I would like to know the full process for the grain workings?
Any one got the suggestions of details?

Here is a wonderful start from one of our very knowledgeable brewers. Bobby_M's AG primer and here is Palmer. Both should get you where you need to be to really wrap your head around it. Then there is the forum to help you understand any parts you may not quite grasp. Let us know if we can help.

Long it looks like to learn the process. How hard is it in comparisson to simply pouring the extract in... Is the taste better, and is there more of an option in the creations of the beer colors. Extract I find tend to be heavy and darker, I would like to come up with a light beer that is drinkable in mass quantities.

Long it looks like to learn the process. How hard is it in comparisson to simply pouring the extract in... Is the taste better, and is there more of an option in the creations of the beer colors. Extract I find tend to be heavy and darker, I would like to come up with a light beer that is drinkable in mass quantities.

It's not hard at all. It just has many more steps. I do believe the taste is much better in my case, and I can make some super light colored beers.

You CAN make great beer with extract, too, if you buy extra light DME and add it late in the boil. Follow a recipe until you can brew it well, and keep the fermentation temperatures under control. Use the freshest ingredients, and you'll have a great extract beer.

AG brewing isn't really going to improve any beers that aren't well made. What I mean by that is it's still all about technique. A well made extract beer is still much better than a not-so-great AG beer.

Right On, Yeah with this coming Winter, and My friends wanting to do nothing but keep busy, I think Just brewing up a storm of stuff, and lowering the electric bill....Hahahaha.

So with the light extract, just add that late in the process? get the water and other ingredients rolling and then at what about 20 or 15 minutes toss in the extract? I am curious would that not make it really thick, with less time to cook down? or would I be straining out stuff?

Right On, Yeah with this coming Winter, and My friends wanting to do nothing but keep busy, I think Just brewing up a storm of stuff, and lowering the electric bill....Hahahaha.

So with the light extract, just add that late in the process? get the water and other ingredients rolling and then at what about 20 or 15 minutes toss in the extract? I am curious would that not make it really thick, with less time to cook down? or would I be straining out stuff?

You put about 1 lb of extract in at the beginning of the boil to help utilize your hops. If you steep grains first, this early extract addition may not be necessary. Then with about 15 mins left in the boil, you add the rest of the extract. The extract dissolves into the water—it isn't going to make the wort any thicker than adding it at the beginning unless you don't have enough water, and there's nothing to strain out.

Many Thanks, I will be doing that. I have found some recipes that I think will help a great deal in the most production of the line closest to the worlds public beers. So I am wicked happy all of you are working my mind to the beer world! I will hit you all up with the logos for the bottles, and pictures of the kegs!

Let me know if anyone has anything else!
jtmunson at gmail.com

Hey all, just came across my talents with display racks for wine and beer bottles. I am working with several wineries here in Kansas City, Mo. Speaking with them on the custom Wine Totes bags, and also custom branded wood crates. Anyone, looking to add them to their lines of beer products? Horribly cheap, and nicely stained. Just another addition to the status of my beer and wine brewing ideas for 3 Minds Brewery. Let me know!

Hey all, just came across my talents with display racks for wine and beer bottles. I am working with several wineries here in Kansas City, Mo. Speaking with them on the custom Wine Totes bags, and also custom branded wood crates. Anyone, looking to add them to their lines of beer products? Horribly cheap, and nicely stained. Just another addition to the status of my beer and wine brewing ideas for 3 Minds Brewery. Let me know!

If you have something that you think we might be interested in, I recommend opening a vendor account and then posting some pictures, prices, etc...

Back