Milk chocolate stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokamantratarius

Reaction score
Wow been a while since I have posted, it has been a wonderful first year of brewing. Have made some crotch grabbingly delicious beers...beyond what I thought I was going to be able to make, it depresses me going out to drink cause I pay 3-5 bucks for a pint of inferior beer -sigh- but alas I have a question. A couple months ago I made a cream stout...came out great but I have since tried Young's Double Chocolate Stout and...and...it's like drinking beer flavored chocolate pudding, I love it!

Now here is the question...if I were to put a number of melted down and diluted chocolate bars in secondary...well thats not the question the question is has anyone here done that? And what sort of results might I find myself getting?

p.s. I darn gosh to heck for the HOP SHORTAGE!!! I can't get my beloved columbus :(

Check your chocolet. It has more than just milk and chocolet. It could be bad. Use a chocolet that has no milk and add some lactose sugar to the batch. I'd do this in your boil. Search around there are a lot of "Chocolet" beer recipes out there.

Your best solution for chocolate flavor in a beer is to add cocoa powder or chocolate nibs. Both have maximum chocolate with minimal additives like fat and sugar. Milk chocolate has very little chocolate and alot of fat and sugar.

The next choice would be to use some form of concentrated chocolate essence or chocolate liqueur.

Again adding milk chocolate to beer will just result in a big mess with little flavor effect.

Craig

There's been a couple of really informative threads over the last few weeks about the same thing. And some really great recipes as well... Use the search to see if you can find them... I'll see if I can find them in my subscribed threads....

Back