have I created a monster?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waboom!!

Reaction score
I've already started a thread about this batch of mead , but I guess I need more advice. I started my 5 gallon batch on Jan 28th. within 48 hrs had vigorous fermenting... Now its almost a month later and its still bubbling at least every 5 seconds!! This is my first wine. My starting OG was 1.125 and now is 1.05. Is this normal? I can't believe that it is still Rock 'n' Rollin' after a month of strong fermenting. It shows no sign of slowing. I am scared that I may have created a HOT one.

Well not knowing the recipe, I'd say you had tons of honey in there and a high tolerance yeast. So yeah you will have one strong and very hot mead. It is going to need to age for a long time, and it will be dry!

5 1/2 gal batch.
13 lbs orange blossom honey
3 lbs Dole canned pineapple+ it's juice (no sugar added)
1 tbsp gypsum
1/2 oz energizer
1/2 oz Nutrient
2 packets yeast (12 grams Lavlin Champaign yeast).
-
Honey + 2 gallons of water was boiled for 15 minutes and the foam was skimmed.
Then the fruit was steeped in a hop bag at 160' for 20 minutes at the end
Topped up to 6 gallons and yeast was re hydrated and pitched at 90'

apparently you didn't do a lot of mead research first? 4 weeks in primary is normal for a high ABV, dry mead. you used champagne yeast, so this batch is going to ferment to under 1.000....but should stop before 0.990

then you'll need to age it for about a year so the hotness can mellow out.

eeep! I just pitched yeast for my first batch of mead and my OG is about the same. I also am using a champaign yeast.

we'll see about how fermentation goes, but I was thinking I would be able to siphon off a gallon or so for around the forth of july for people to sample...of this year:(

perhaps I ought to whip up a smaller, less heated batch for july and save this batch for the holidays and beyond?

recipe for todays concoction:

6 gal water
13# honey ( 1 gal )
3 1/2 # canned cherries, drained
1/2 # (one can) mandarin oranges, drained
1/8 c. lime juice
1/8 c. lemon juice

other notes aerated via pouring entire batch between kettle and primary fermenter couple of times...should be plenty O oxygen :)
pitched yeast @80*
expected fermentation temp around 70-72*

Back