Bitter astringent/tannin flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phan71

Reaction score
I have a stout that I've recently tried a few of (after 3 weeks in the bottle). It seems I over-sparged (or over steeped) the specialty grains (recipe below), because it definitely has a bitter, astringent flavor (noticeably from the roasted barley). It's not a devastatingly horrible flavor, just not very ideal; the beer would certainly taste better without it.

My question is, is this one of those things that will mellow out with longer aging? Should I let this one sit a while for optimum flavor, or just write it off as a learning experience? (I seem to be having a lot of "learning experiences" lately, this is the second of three batches with a problem - hopefully the wheat ale I brewed last night will break this streak!)

1# Two Row malt
.5# UK Crystal Malt (~60L)
.5# Chocolate Malt
.5# of roasted barley
3.3# Northwestern amber LME (late edition - 15 min.)
1# Northwestern Amber DME
1 oz. of Chinook pellets @ 60 min.
.5 oz. of Chinook pellets @30 min.
.5 oz. Cascade (Whole Leaf) @ 30 min.
1 tsp. Irish Moss
1056 American Ale yeast

Steep the grains at about 160 degrees for 45 min. in about 2.5 gal. Sparge with another 1-1.5gal of 170 degree water.

Yes, absolutely those harsh bitter flavours will mellow with time. It probably isn't that you extracted a lot of tannins, but rather you are tasting the bitter character of the dark roasted grains. Give the beer a couple months (or 4-6 if you are really patient!) and it will improve tremendously, I am sure!

Well, I'm glad of that, but I still worry. Will it still mellow if it is tannins in the brew?

(Sorry to persist, but I tend to worry too much!)

FlyGuy said:
Yes, absolutely those harsh bitter flavours will mellow with time. It probably isn't that you extracted a lot of tannins, but rather you are tasting the bitter character of the dark roasted grains. Give the beer a couple months (or 4-6 if you are really patient!) and it will improve tremendously, I am sure!

agreed. I sometimes post too quickly with a "my beer tastes weird" thread. You will be just fine if you give it some time. RDWHAHB :rockin:

homebrewer_99 said:
As a lead from another post...did you squeeze the liquid from the grain bag? :confused:

Yeah, I think I may have, but I thought just a little. I've done this before with no noticeable impact, I guess I just did it too much this time!

Phan71 said:
Yeah, I think I may have, but I thought just a little. I've done this before with no noticeable impact, I guess I just did it too much this time!
No, I doubt it. Stouts always taste like that when they are green. Just be patient and give it some time. It will mellow and blend and become wonderful! :)

Latest posts

Back