Is my batch ruined

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdbahns

Reaction score
My very first batch, a summer ale, and Accidentally put in my aroma, etc. before the Malt was boiled...is it ruined?

Ruined; absolutely not. Just gooing to have less hop aroma and flavor and more bitterness than originally intended.
One thing you could do to regain some flavor (if you taste a
Sample and seems to lack hop character) Is dry hop, this is where after fermentation settles down you add some hops and let them steep for a week or so in the beer befor you bottle.

Happy brewing!
Chickens

Just to make sure we're on the same page here, you boil your WORT, not your MALT, and I guess you put HOPS in before the boil?

If you boiled your grains/malt, then you may have possibly done some harm. Like everyone else said, however, if all you did was put hops in pre-boil, you are going to be fine. You will actually still get bittering utilization from those hops, as I'm assuming they were still in the wort when you got around to the boil, so this beer will still have a bittering addition, just no particular hops flavor or aroma.

You still made beer. See it through the rest of the way and see what you get....it could be a brand new method/style that makes great beer!

Ruined implies binary. Like you flip a switch from ok to ruined. Beer is more of a scale...lots of steps in between.

Back