Does this starter look right? (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewingbarrister

Reaction score
I made a 2L lager starter 4-5 days ago and hope to brew tomorrow morning or the next. However, I am worries since my starter looks cloudier than my ale starter, which cleared up very well. The brown detritus on the bottom also differs from my ale starter. Does it look OK? I am paranoid about brewing and would hate to pitch a jacked up starter. Thanks for any input!

lager starter 1.jpg

lager starter 2.jpg

Looks like maybe just yeast? With starters it helps to swirl them around every once in a while to keep the yeast in suspension and vent CO2. Did you use dry malt extract? Might be some that didn't dissolve into solution and has settled. If everything was sanitized and you didn't pitch too hot you should be fine. Lager yeast is a bottom fermenting yeast as well and may just like to hang out at the bottom.

Thanks. Someone mentioned the brown stuff may just be cold break. I did follow all of the recommended starter directions as far as pitching temp, swirling occasionally etc.

Looks fine to me. Sure, there is some break material setteled in there but lots of nice yeast.

Thanks guys. I let it ferment for only about 12 hours sine I had to leave for work. Maybe that explains the amount of yeast. Thanks for the reassurance.

if it were me i'd probably step this up a couple more times before you pitch - you'll probably need much more yeast for a lager

What's with the container? Ball jars cost about as much as those Rubbermaid things and can actually be sterilized. You gotta use what you got, but I've never seen those used for anything other than leftovers.

And it looks fine to me.

Back