NewB has a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillT

Reaction score
I have not brewed yet but have the equipment so excuse me if this is a stupid question. Has anyone added any kind of nuts to their batch to get a nutty flavor & if so when would you add them? Could the oil in the nuts do anything bad to the brewing process (kill the yeast)?

Adding nuts = bad idea b/c of the oils, it will kill any head on your beer and oils can go rancid.

If you want nutty flavors, try using some Victory Malt in a recipe. Also I've seen a few commercial beers that add hazelnut extract at bottling time to the beers, so if you can find an extract for beers that might be a way to go. I'm guessing the suggestion of Victory malt may result in more questions from you than really an answer for you, but feel free to ask away. I'm sure others will also jump in when they have something to add.

Welcome to HBT.

There are no such thing as a stupid question here, everyone started out as a noob and we are all still learning. I have only brewed six batches and the guys here have been very patient with all of my questions.

As far as the nut flavor, that comes from grains that have been roasted and have a "nutty" flavour to them and not actual nuts. If I remember right I think chocolate malt (deep roasted barley malt) will give beer a slight nutty flavour.

Good luck and welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask questions, we all had to start somewhere. None of us are born with the knowlege of how to brew (except maybe Kaiser:D)

Nut oils can be trouble. Some people have gone to great lengths to de-fat peanut butter and used it with some success. This would probably work with just about any nut butter.

Victory is commonly used to provide a nutty flavor, but it requires mashing.

Another alternative is nut extracts.

Special B and dark crystal can impart a nutty flavor as well.

Find a grain guide and go from there.

Chocolate Malt 350° 1.034 Use in all types to adjust color and add nutty, toasted flavor. Chocolate flavor.

Gambrinus Honey Malt 25° 1.034 Nutty honey flavor. For brown ales, Belgian wheats, bocks and many other styles.

Mild Ale Malt 2.3-2.7° 1.037 Dry, nutty malty flavor. Promotes body. Use in English mild ales.

Toasted Pale Malt 25° 1.038 Imparts nutty flavor and aroma. Use in IPAs and Scottish ales.

Light Munich Malt 5-6° 1.034 For a desired malty, nutty flavor. Lagers, Oktoberfests and bock beer.​

Taken from http://byo.com/referenceguide/grains/

Not my favorite gain guide since it leaves out a lot of newer specialty grains like chocolate rye malt etc, and sometimes conflicts in descriptions with other guides, but still not not bad in general.

EmptyH said:
There are no such thing as a stupid question here,

Not true. I've read several tonight alone. Thankfully this is not one of them. If you don't read the instructions that came with your kit but are willing to post the question and read it online, then it's a stupid question. This is an intelligent question. Welcome to the forums, WillT.

Fingers said:
Not true. I've read several tonight alone. Thankfully this is not one of them. If you don't read the instructions that came with your kit but are willing to post the question and read it online, then it's a stupid question. This is an intelligent question. Welcome to the forums, WillT.

I think anything you ask is OK. Even if you would rather post and read than read instructions. If you don't like the question....don't answer it!

Kayos said:
I think anything you ask is OK. Even if you would rather post and read than read instructions. If you don't like the question....don't answer it!

Ease up, big fella. Your response would be justified if I were hassling someone who posted what I thought was a stupid question. As you advise, I haven't answered any. Truth be told, I haven't answered this one because I found both the question and the answers to be very informative and not something that I could reasonably add to. I hadn't thought about the topic raised but it piqued my curiosity.

As far as stupid questions go, I respectfully disagree with you. If someone were at all interested in this hobby, they would at the very least RTFM.

As my American History professor said, "there are indeed stupid questions. Let me give you some examples of questions which I will mock fully..."

1. One minute after I state, "make sure you take good notes today since most of this material will appear on your mid-term exam," you ask, "will we be tested on this?"

2. After I state, "this was an important turning point in the Civil War," you ask, "did this really matter in the overall scope of the war?"

While we were all new brewers once, there is a difference between asking things like, "does the yeast go in before the boil" and this question. The answer to the first question is found in hundreds of sources and is so basic as to point to the inquisitor's total lack of research. This question is definitely not stupid and I agree with the previous answers.

Welcome to the obsession, WillT.

Fingers said:

instructions are not always clear....and you can find crap online stating just about anything if you dont know where your sources are coming from

Let's not forget that this is a forum centered on BEER....

"Stupid" is a relative term.

At 10:15PM after a couple of homebrews...we're all geniuses. Brilliant questions followed by a littany of thoughtful, insightful answers and the witty banter of differing opinions.

At 8:22AM the nest morning...lets face it. We were drunk last night. :D

Kinda like that hot chick at the end of the bar last nite??? What were you thinking.

Point is...relax. Have a brew. Ask your questions. Answer some questions.

It's a freakin forum baby... :ban:

BierMuncher said:
Let's not forget that this is a forum centered on BEER....

"Stupid" is a relative term.

At 10:15PM after a couple of homebrews...we're all geniuses. Brilliant questions followed by a littany of thoughtful, insightful answers and the witty banter of differing opinions.

At 8:22AM the nest morning...lets face it. We were drunk last night. :D

Kinda like that hot chick at the end of the bar last nite??? What were you thinking.

Point is...relax. Have a brew. Ask your questions. Answer some questions.

It's a freakin forum baby... :ban:

Could not agree more....thanks for stepping up.

Signed, the "big fella" lmao

Back