Inexpensive pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barnesyfc

Reaction score
After several years of extract brewing, I have decided to move into the AG world.
I go round and round as to what will be the best setup for my basement would be. I was thinking that it would have to be gravity fed, mainly because I did not want to spend the money on a pump, and the superchiller I am coveting(Therminator) just yet. But was wondering if for $15 you could turn your drill into a wort pump with this.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/11948.htm

I have used these drill attachments to drain waterbed with no problems, and this is rated for temps up to 220. Any suggestions?

barnesyfc said:
After several years of extract brewing, I have decided to move into the AG world.
I go round and round as to what will be the best setup for my basement would be. I was thinking that it would have to be gravity fed, mainly because I did not want to spend the money on a pump, and the superchiller I am coveting(Therminator) just yet. But was wondering if for $15 you could turn your drill into a wort pump with this.

http://www2.northerntool.com/product-1/11948.htm

I have used these drill attachments to drain waterbed with no problems, and this is rated for temps up to 220. Any suggestions?

For wort, It'd be a sanitary nightmare.

Why do you think it would be unsanitary?
It is a fully self-contained unit (nothing coming into contact with the drill or any moving parts) so cleaning should be easy. Plus if it can be used with freshwater...

Just recirculate your sanitizer through it for a few minutes prior before contact with the wort.

I did a search, and someone else is at least using one to pump water for cooling, but I didn't see anything about using it for wort. They mentioned $8 at HD/Lowes. You might can get the same thing cheaper there.

Also, you could consider this. My kettle sits 8" off the ground. I don't have a march pump, but I use a wort wizard to create the suction to transfer to my carboy. I got mine at Petsmart. It's called a python and goes for $8.

PY1263.jpg

Here's Dude's setup in action. Note you need a carboy cap to make it work, and better bottles won't take the pressure - use a glass carboy.

636-chillinside.jpg

Might work, even looks easy to take apart for serious cleaning. I would use hose clamps, though. I don't trust barbed connectors with anything hot.

First of all, I've pumped boiling water with the pump with no ill effects. It uses a rubber impeller. Everything else is SS, except the bushing, which is bronze.

Secondly, when you get the pump, the owners manual has a replacement parts list that lists a high temp impeller. I think its rated at 200F. I bought it and installed it. Takes 5 minutes. It worked just fine without it.

The high temp part *might* be needed if operating at high temp and at the pumps peak pressure output. For the few feet of head we use in our brewstands, the pump works fine in the stock form.

I'll put my "no good for boiling wort" pump up against a magnetic drive March pump any day of the week !

Back