Tin foil in the carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I haven't had to post an "is my beer going to be ok" thread in a few years. Bad end to a great brew day. Brewed a Belgian Dark Strong Ale.

I had a sanitized piece of aluminum foil over the top of my starter (1 gallon growler) and as I was pouring the starter through my funnel, my pinky somehow ripped off a small piece of the tin foil and it went down the funnel into the carboy.:drunk:

I feel pretty safe about contamination because that starter will certainly take hold first but is there any concern to a piece of tin foil going for the ride through fermentation?

I don't think I should be worried but I wanted to double check. Thanks!

Does the fact that it was sprayed with star san make a difference as far as it breaking down the foil?

First, I'm assuming you are actually talking about aluminum foil. My first thought was that it will slowly dissolve in the beer. I have had pinholes develop on aluminum foil placed on top of acidic foods. However, I have seen beer fermented in aluminum fermenters, with no visual signs of deterioration. (And they tasted just fine.)
The worst case senario is it is dissolved, it probably is no worse than a antacid tablet, so I don't think there is any harm there. As far as flavour, IMHO you will be OK.

Back