Late hops for my red ale - simcoe or cascade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graeme

Reaction score
So I'm going to be brewing an American style red ale for my girlfriend pretty soon. It's a favourite style of hers. I just came upon some simcoe I had in my freezer (smell amazing btw) and I'm trying to decide whether to use them for the late hops, or go with cascade like I had planned originally. I don't want this to be too offensive. It's going to be around 5.2% and 38IBU's. I chose cascade because I figured it would inpart a nice dry bitterness, but it seems a crime to buy more hops when I have some at home. Do you think using simcoe would take away from the style?

Cheers!

I think Simcoe is a little more harsh than Cascade. I'd use the Cascade, I think it is more "west coast, American" in flavor. If you really want to use the Simcoe perhaps dry hop; you did mention how great they smelled.

Cheers!
Schoolmaster

It's definitely quite a bit harsher which is why I had cascade in mind...I'd rather make this beer the way it should be and not skimp out of convenience

Back